New comer to stand up comedy

I had my first gig on saturday - my head went blank about 5 mins before I was due on - is this normal?!! Can anyone offer me any advice for future gigs? Cheers

So you bottled it and didn't go on? Or you came around and just had "cold feet"?

Hi Renno, check out my thread in here about constructing your first five. Some good discussions and tips from some clever people, and even a bit of talk on memorising material !

No, I went on - in for a penny and all that, it just took me a bit to warm up!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/18267/

This happens, if you haven't worked with crowd's before this can be hard to over come.

I did pro wrestling before stand up so I had no problem with crowds but what may help is to perform your comedy to your friends or people you are close with and if they laugh then it might make you feel more comfortable knowing that you got laughs from it before. :)

Good luck

I happens many times, you just to be more focused on what you are doing. Confidence and practice are two pillars for success.

_________________________________ http://shortjokes4u.blogspot.com

First of all well done on giving it a go!

What I have used when I first started was the old trick of writing your subject lines on the back of your hand. Just one word hints about your jokes should be enough to prompt you to what comes next.

Keep up the good work, when's then next one?

Happens alot check out how many comics take their material with them on stage and read it.

(alot)

The audience usually doesn't seem to mind but it damages your actual performance.

I wrote keywords on my hand for my second gig. For me, it didn't work as I knew that I had those prompts so I paused more to look at my hand. I do a better gig without the prompts, just wing it etc.

Quote: Darren Taylor @ July 21 2011, 2:05 PM BST

This happens, if you haven't worked with crowd's before this can be hard to over come.

I did pro wrestling before stand up so I had no problem with crowds but what may help is to perform your comedy to your friends or people you are close with and if they laugh then it might make you feel more comfortable knowing that you got laughs from it before. :)

Good luck

That is way too interesting to leave their

nb did that mean you fought prostitutes or got paid?

I know several comedians who are ex wrestlers. Seems quite a common shift.

Does it work the other way.

I quite fancy wrestling as

"The big joke!"

Maybe you should start a trend.

I'll have a word, see if they'll allow a piledriver on this occasion.

The Big Joke, his signature move "the punchline" can fracture a funny bone.