Benefits of humour vs. offence caused.

A lot of humour is potentially offensive.
But "laughter is the best medicine".

Therefore, is it unhealthy for people to take offence at comedy? People seem to take offence very easily these days, but what is the cost to us all of their intolerance?

http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/laughter.htm

I'd say the cost is abject darkness, dullness and misery. Remember the Cromwell era? Everything to do with joy and frivolity, humour, theatre, lightheartedness was banned and forbidden. The result? A shock return to the monarchy, who may have been greedy, indulgent and disgusting, but knew life was better lived with a bit of joy and frivolity. In other words, don't take offence, join in!

I often think it is the middle people that take offence on behalf of the potential offendee(?)

A bit like Mary Whithouse (who? you young un's say)

Too many guardians protecting our sensibilities because we don't know what is good for us.

Much of the offence industry is driven by the fact that tabloids sell more when they - and by extension their readers - can get indignant about something. More often than not it's completely artificial and manufactured.

I couldn't care less about some idiots getting offended by what they don't understand, it's just a shame when we have to hear them bleat on about it.

Quote: Vader @ July 2 2011, 2:25 PM BST

I couldn't care less about some idiots getting offended by what they don't understand, it's just a shame when we have to hear them bleat on about it.

Well, you are on the dark side...

Quote: chipolata @ July 2 2011, 2:16 PM BST

Much of the offence industry is driven by the fact that tabloids sell more when they - and by extension their readers - can get indignant about something. More often than not it's completely artificial and manufactured.

'The offence industry'. Love it. (Can't you just see some QUNAGO...'The Ministry for Offence'.)

Why would you wish to offend anyone whom you do not wish to offend?

Is that a trick question?

Sometimes there is a trade-off between how offended one person is going to be about something you say, versus the amount of laughter you think you'll cause in the rest of the people.

I didn't want many people at my funeral anyway!

Quote: Nogget @ July 2 2011, 12:55 PM BST

A lot of humour is potentially offensive.
But "laughter is the best medicine".

Therefore, is it unhealthy for people to take offence at comedy? People seem to take offence very easily these days, but what is the cost to us all of their intolerance?

http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/laughter.htm

This is perhaps the most idiotically generic thread intro ever, hang your head in shame.

Yes almost all humour can cause offence. Yes there's comedy that could be seen as racist or bigotted, but is actually clever and involving.
I went to a school as one of about 4 minority kids out of 600 (being Jewish). It was the 80s and I can certanly say the poisonous shite from Bernard Manning et al wasn't funny being thrown in one's face. Comedy can entertain and draw people in. It can also refine and sharpen prejudice.

Of course bullying is so much worse these days.

I mean you hear about kids who use internet forums. One of whom despite years of trolling and being a genuine nuisance.

Couldn't even get himself banned. Poor guy just got ignored like a fart in a royal wedding.

Now that's cruel.

What happens when a Jew with an erection runs into a wall?

He breaks his nose.

Quote: sootyj @ July 2 2011, 9:01 PM BST

Of course bullying is so much worse these days.

I mean you hear about kids who use internet forums. One of whom despite years of trolling and being a genuine nuisance.

Couldn't even get himself banned. Poor guy just got ignored like a fart in a royal wedding.

Now that's cruel.

Laughing out loud

IMO, the potential for humour should always trump the potential for offence.

I'd agree but I think truly good humour rarely offends.

Stuff like In Sickness & Health is just too sharp to really offend.

I think part of the problem is how the audience interprets material.
An audience can always misinterpret a joke, that's not the responsiblity of the joke teller.