Pinched ideas?

Now I know that many people probably have the same ideas about comedy at roughly the same time; what hasn't been done before, what's topical and fresh etc., but...

I had an idea for a new sitcom back in 2009, wrote some scripts and submitted them to various companies. It was roundly rejected by all and even Victoria Wood said it was too rude. Which it was. Apart from the 'too' part. In my opinion.

Now I find a production company has made the exact programme for Sky1 and it stars Jane Horrocks and other big names. I am slightly miffed. It hasn't aired yet but if I see any of my story lines, and I think they would be quite identifiable, what do I do? Grin and bear it? Kick off? What can I expect to happen?

I have a posted, sealed copy of the script I sent to the BBC.

B*st*rds!

Possibly.

Simon.

I have to say, I do like the fact that you've come on here to complain about Sky1 stealing your ideas, with a user name you've pinched from Terry Pratchett.

He's not making money out of a forum username, though.

So they made something similar? Wait til it airs if it's the same kick up a stink if not then not really ought can do.

Quote: Afinkawan @ June 29 2011, 4:26 PM BST

I have to say, I do like the fact that you've come on here to complain about Sky1 stealing your ideas, with a user name you've pinched from Terry Pratchett.

My real name was rejected as somebody has already pinched it. This seems to be a common occurence in my life.

Thank you for your reply though, it was much as I'd expected.

Simon.

Unfortunately you can't copyright an idea but if chunks of your dialogue start to appear then you should take legal advice...

Sending yourself a sealed copy of a script is a waste of time too, you could have sealed the envelope at any time...

Is it being made by a company you sent your script to?

How similar is the programme being made, to the pitch that you gave? Could you post up a synopsis of your show, and also one for the Sky programme?

Have they just used a similar setting or are you saying that they have lifted characters and acutally used your work?

It is very rare that something like this would actually happen.

Not sure it is possible to jump to conclusions from the press release; sitcom set in a supermarket is not in itself a copyrightable idea - otherwise the makers of Tripper's Day would be after them. To establish any intellectual property you will need to identify more similarities. So as you say, at this stage, Bastards! Possibly.

Quote: Trabs @ June 29 2011, 5:09 PM BST

Is it being made by a company you sent your script to?

How similar is the programme being made, to the pitch that you gave? Could you post up a synopsis of your show, and also one for the Sky programme?

Have they just used a similar setting or are you saying that they have lifted characters and acutally used your work?

It is very rare that something like this would actually happen.

I believe it must be a coincidence, but it's still quite annoying.

My synopsis:

'Fresh' is a six part situation comedy relying heavily on dialogue/banter and shows the enemy (the customers) what it's like to work in a supermarket and what the staff do to pass the time. Many of the staff have very good imaginations.

Episode one introduces several characters but mainly revolves around one of the main characters - Dennis.

Episode two involves an upper-managerial visit from head office.

Episode three is the story of a work experience lad visiting the store.

Episode four is a whole half-hour tea break set in the staff canteen.

Episode five is mainly a monologue from the store manager.

Episode six is entitled retirement.

Main characters:

Bill
The store manager. In his 60s and just hanging on for retirement

Dennis
40-something. Intelligent, cynical and outspoken. Works in the meat and poultry aisle.

Gerald
Baker. Mildly psychotic. Hates customers. Very rude.

Margaret
Sexually frustrated mouse. Sits in a corner of an office fiddling with paperwork and making phone calls but imagines office visitors in all manner of sordid acts. In her mind she wears leather, in reality she wears a lot of tweed.

Syd
Works in wines and spirits. Speaks/splutters intelligibly and is subtitled with what he actually wants to say, which is actually very intelligent, but is rarely understood.

Richard
Checkout manager. Panics like a chicken inwardly when a customer might be approaching the checkouts and is in a constant state of manic stress. Conceals this with a grovelling calm exterior

Rachel
Personnel manager. Vacuous ex-hippy who floats around the store advocating peace and tranquillity, smiling at everybody. Actually does nothing whatsoever but is never found out because nobody knows what personnel managers do.

Roger
60 year old janitor. Yorkshireman. Spends a lot of time leaning on a broom and talking to staff and customers.

Nettie
Proper Londoner. Loves telling stories of old London.

Dick
Back door man. Large, muscular, gay and proud of it.

Jeremy
Extremely well educated, Brian Sewell type voice. Speaks of nothing but his record collection.

Frank
Butcher. Exactly as a butcher should be: fat, bald, and ruddy. Vegetarian, however.

Sky1 synopsis:
TROLLIED is set in "Valco" supermarket, a fictional budget supermarket in the North West. The show takes a comic look at a setting we've all spent too much of our lives in, be it buying pasta, arguing with our loved ones or just trying to explain why we don't want yet another a loyalty card. TROLLIED is a slice of life populated by the characters we all see every time we go shopping, the bored kids on the checkouts, the ineffectual managers and the irate customers.

I'm even happy to post the entire first episode here, before the Sky1 programme is aired... just in case, like.

Quote: Timbo @ June 29 2011, 5:18 PM BST

Not sure it is possible to jump to conclusions from the press release; sitcom set in a supermarket is not in itself a copyrightable idea - otherwise the makers of Tripper's Day would be after them. To establish any intellectual property you will need to identify more similarities. So as you say, at this stage, Bastards! Possibly.

Heh! Surely they wouldn't have taken whole characters or storylines? Who would be daft enough to do that?

Simon.

Quote: RedZed333 @ June 29 2011, 5:06 PM BST

Unfortunately you can't copyright an idea but if chunks of your dialogue start to appear then you should take legal advice...

Sending yourself a sealed copy of a script is a waste of time too, you could have sealed the envelope at any time...

Ah, but the very lovely Victoria has read it. What more evidence could I possibly need? :O)

Simon.

BBC Choice did a supermarket sitcom called shelfstackers last year. That was made by Lime, I think.

Just found this: From the producer of The Office and The Royle Family this exciting and eagerly awaited new UK comedy series, exclusive to Sky1 HD, boasts a Star-studded cast (Victoria Wood, Steve Pemberton - A League Of Gentlemen & Benidorm, Sally Lindsay - Coronation Street and John Henshaw - Red Riding).

Victoria Wood?? That's quite thought provoking...

I feel for you man. Keep us updated on the situation.

Here's a link to two and a bit of my episodes for anyone who's terribly bored and wants a read. They're no bloody use to me now, are they?

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=bee4a65d5749fee0&sc=documents&id=BEE4A65D5749FEE0%21104

One day I shall regale you all with a similar tale of woe regarding a Mr.Ben Stiller and his film, Click. Complete with buggering script if you like!!

Wasn't it Adam Sandler in Click? And it seemed like you had too many characters, certainly for a 6 part sitcom with other characters coming in, and not enough of a hierarchy. Plus I wouldn't have thought the chracters would have much contact apart from on their breaks since they're all from different parts of the Supermarket.

I had a vegetarian butcher in a sitcom episode I wrote about two years ago.
Oh, and I also have a sitcom pilot set entirely in the staff room of a supermarket.
Proves that similar (and near-exact) ideas happen.

But I can see how you'd be a bit effed off after the discover of V Wood's involvement, seeing as she read your script.
Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean pinched ideas. (Which is of course a pretty strong accusation without proof)
She might have then read another supermarket script which she liked enough to star in.

Don't bin your scripts though. It doesn't mean the end for your supermarket idea. Just put it on the back burner for now and write something else.