BAFTA's going to fly us all out to New York... Page 2

Fair play - thanks people.

For what it's worth, I think Rocliffe is a fantastic organisation. I've submitted material (and been unsuccessful) to a few of their non-comedy new writing forums and the prize on offer there - to have your work performed and staged by people at the top of their professions in front of a large group of industry professionals - is about as good as it gets. I know in the past they've had directors of the calibre of David Morrisey, Mike Newall and John Madden co-chairing the events.

And this prize looks if anything, a level or two above that - showcasing your work in front of top US execs for f@&%'s sake - so I think anyone considering submitting needs to bring their A-game and make sure what they submit is their absolute best work because the competition will be fierce.

Martyn

Shame it's not for Canadian execs because then I could bring my "Eh?"-game.

Hi

Thank you all for taking such interest in this event.

To be clear the report you will receive is a one page report based on our readers assessment of the following criteria:

a. The originality and strength of the idea
b. The accomplishment and quality of the writing of the sample script
c. The strength of voice and potential in the writer
d. Adaptability for the US market

If you are submitting sketches, you can submit several sketches up to ten minutes in length ie 5 x 2 minute sketches.

For the New York event we are looking for polished pieces of work as we are looking for the next comedy writing stars.

We do take script submissions for our London and regional based events which are only £5 to enter. These are geared towards works in progress. Here is a short documentary about the event http://bcove.me/efo0skgd

All our events get an industry audience.

Hope that helps.

I'm trying to do the paypal payment for this - but for some reason the moment I click to type in the sitcom name and my name, it automatically goes to the Terms and Conditions PDF. As far as I can tell, it's impossible to actually do a PayPal payment at the moment. Anyone else having this trouble (or if the PTB are reading this thread still, is there anything that can be done to fix it?).

Quote: Antrax @ June 17 2011, 3:11 PM BST

I'm trying to do the paypal payment for this - but for some reason the moment I click to type in the sitcom name and my name, it automatically goes to the Terms and Conditions PDF. As far as I can tell, it's impossible to actually do a PayPal payment at the moment. Anyone else having this trouble (or if the PTB are reading this thread still, is there anything that can be done to fix it?).

I have the same problem!?

Quote: richiemoomoo @ June 17 2011, 9:20 PM BST

I have the same problem!?

Are you still experiencing the same problem as we reinstalled the paypal app and it seems to be fine. Let me know if you still have problems - Rocliffe scripts@rocliffe.com

I'm afraid it's still the same for me : (

It's probably not particularly important, but here's a quick query for the Rocliffe folks

In the terms and conditions, it says to submit:
a. Short synopsis - 25 words
b. Introduction to extract
c. Ten minute extract of a script for a television sit-com or sketch show. This is around 10 pages
in length. The script must be legibly typed and formatted to industry standards.
d. Treatment or outline of how the series would develop (1 Page A4 - max 500 words)
e. Sample story lines that will be told in your series (min three, max six)
f. Character breakdown of main characters
g. Industry relevant biography

Point 15 says "15. Please arrange hard copy paperwork in the order listed above and on the application form."

However, the order of paperwork on the application form doesn't match the one above. Does it matter which order we use, as long as it's one of them?

Quote: Penge @ June 21 2011, 8:45 PM BST

It's probably not particularly important, but here's a quick query for the Rocliffe folks

In the terms and conditions, it says to submit:
a. Short synopsis - 25 words
b. Introduction to extract
c. Ten minute extract of a script for a television sit-com or sketch show. This is around 10 pages
in length. The script must be legibly typed and formatted to industry standards.
d. Treatment or outline of how the series would develop (1 Page A4 - max 500 words)
e. Sample story lines that will be told in your series (min three, max six)
f. Character breakdown of main characters
g. Industry relevant biography

Point 15 says "15. Please arrange hard copy paperwork in the order listed above and on the application form."

However, the order of paperwork on the application form doesn't match the one above. Does it matter which order we use, as long as it's one of them?

No use the one in the T&C. I will amend the application form. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote: richiemoomoo @ June 19 2011, 4:24 PM BST

I'm afraid it's still the same for me : (

It is running again. There was a temporary glitch over the weekend which has been resolved.

Just sent my submission. Thanks to Penge for pointing out the correct order of the paperwork. I'd hate for my entry to be disqualified just because I got the bumf the wrong way round. Now I can look forward to being disqualified on the right grounds, oh yes.

I think I already know the answer but is it a silly idea to submit two different extracts from the same series but different episodes? Rich.

I don't think it's silly, but I think it's expensive. Do you feel that one extract is better than the other?

Well, after a moment of panic, I think I've put the pages in a totally different order to either list. Hope it ain't a deal breaker!

Quote: Antrax @ June 27 2011, 1:25 PM BST

Well, after a moment of panic, I think I've put the pages in a totally different order to either list. Hope it ain't a deal breaker!

I'm sure it won't matter too much. It's hardly a time consuming exercise to organise some documentation!

My first script is away to Rocliffe-land, I'm just putting together all the paperwork for the second now. Then I can have a nice lie down.