BBC Four 'Dropping Comedy & Drama' Page 2

Quote: chipolata @ June 6 2011, 7:26 PM BST

But there's only a finite amount of money and arguably the BBC have been spreading themselves too thinly.

I'd rather they found at least some of the savings elsewhere, rather than gutting ALL of the comedy and drama out of BBC Four.

Quote: Aaron @ June 6 2011, 7:28 PM BST

I can't quite believe I'm saying this, but frankly, given the quality of much recent output (as a whole), a few less comedy slots wouldn't be amiss.

The most obvious place to me to cut a couple of comedy spots would be BBC Three. They seem to make a lot of shows, with a pretty poor hit rate overall.

Quote: zooo @ June 6 2011, 7:28 PM BST

First things first. Drop The One Show.

The fact anyone watches that show baffles me.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 6 2011, 7:32 PM BST

The most obvious place to me to cut a couple of comedy spots would be BBC Three. They seem to make a lot of shows, with a pretty poor hit rate overall.

BBC Three series may not exactly receive critical acclaim, but they do tend to get large audiences.

Quote: Aaron @ June 6 2011, 7:36 PM BST

BBC Three series may not exactly receive critical acclaim, but they do tend to get large audiences.

This is true. Though obviously the Beeb shouldn't be all about ratings chasing like the commercial channels. Though obviously this isn't really true in reality. I suppose what I'm saying is that BBC 3, a channel mainly aimed at a very young audience, seems to be given the money to commission A LOT of comedy shows; perhaps some of that money and those slots could go elsewhere and for different demographics.

Hang on! I thought the art'S' included drama and maybe comedy. Now either I have this wrong or the 'S' is misplaced and we are merely going to be shown a Van Gogh for hours on end.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 6 2011, 7:32 PM BST

I'd rather they found at least some of the savings elsewhere, rather than gutting ALL of the comedy and drama out of BBC Four. The most obvious place to me to cut a couple of comedy spots would be BBC Three. They seem to make a lot of shows, with a pretty poor hit rate overall.

I wouldn't disagree with this. I'd have rather they amalgamated BBC3 and 4 into a sort of BBC HBO that is less interested in demographics and more interested in creating leftfield quality comedy and drama.

Where's it going? I'd be delighted if some of the foreign drama like the Killing and Spiral found a home on BBC2 but not so sure where the comedy will fit. They can't put it all on three as its a different demographic.
Still think the best way to save a shedload of money would be to close Radio 1 and whatever spinoffs its has.

Quote: KLRiley @ June 6 2011, 10:54 PM BST

Where's it going? I'd be delighted if some of the foreign drama like the Killing and Spiral found a home on BBC2 but not so sure where the comedy will fit. They can't put it all on three as its a different demographic.
Still think the best way to save a shedload of money would be to close Radio 1 and whatever spinoffs its has.

There's no way subtitled drama series like The Killing will find their way onto BBC 2.

Sky Rhine is probably on the way.

I can picture The Killing on BBC2. But at about midnight.

Buy it on DVD. I do.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to an article that seems to be based on an interpretation of an opening summary of a BBC document. Or one that says the "clear direction of travel" ... "going forward" is anything at all (though it does sound very BBC).

Doesn't "the arts" includes drama and comedy anyway?

That's what I thought!

Otherwise, what IS 'arts'? Just people talking about paintings and sculpture? Maybe books? F**k knows.

Quote: zooo @ June 6 2011, 11:28 PM BST

what IS 'arts'? Just people talking about paintings and sculpture? Maybe books? F**k knows.

:O

Is that because I did a swear...?

Yes indeed!