Techniques for writing stand-up

I currently use two methods to write material. The first is sat down at home squeezing my brain. The second is taking notes, during the day, if I think of or see anything with potential.

What I was thinking, does anyone write using 'freestyle'. Where you just talk about a subject (usually quite enthusiastically) and try to get your brain to throw out ideas before you can moderate them ? It may sound a bit obscure, but it can be like when you're in the zone and funny stuff just keeps rolling off your tongue.

Or am I crazy ?

Methods that work for me.

1 Big piece of paper. Write a subject in the middle.
Draw arrows going out of it with ideas, then arrows from those ideas.
Look at what you've got turn into jokes.

2 Ask a question and write 10 answers, by 6or 7 I'm thinking originally. Turn question answer into joke.

3 Make list of unusual things; double meanings, odd facts, things in the news.
Make it a long list. Pick out the 5 most interesting and write a question to which the odd fact is the answer.

N.B. the idea of just standing on the stage and mad funny ideas come to you, occaisonally works. But usually it's a case of doing huge amounts of prep but not following a rigid format.

Sort of like filling in half the crossword and doing the easy clues on the stage.

A book that really helped me was "The New Comedy Writing Step by Step" by Gene Perret. It has some great excersises to help with the joke writing process.

Quote: Park Bench @ May 24 2011, 6:37 AM BST

What I was thinking, does anyone write using 'freestyle'. Where you just talk about a subject (usually quite enthusiastically) and try to get your brain to throw out ideas before you can moderate them ? It may sound a bit obscure, but it can be like when you're in the zone and funny stuff just keeps rolling off your tongue.

Or am I crazy ?

Do that, but not on stage - do it earlier: at home, into a mirror / microphone. Pretend you're on stage, though. Then keep the best stuff for when you do perform.

Not sure if it helps much but, Tommy Cooper never practiced in front of mirrors because he believed that if you practiced in front of mirrors you became self involved and less interactive with the audience. He believed it was better to practice in front of a wall or an audience of some form.

My OP was suggesting doing it at home, without a mirror, just focussing on generating content and not delivery. I must admit, I seem to come up with my best stuff when I first wake up in the morning. It's a good enough excuse to stop in bed.

Quote: Park Bench @ May 24 2011, 6:37 AM BST

Or am I crazy ?

You're not crazy, check out the mighty Ross Noble

Quote: Park Bench @ June 7 2011, 7:13 AM BST

I must admit, I seem to come up with my best stuff when I first wake up in the morning.

Some writers use this time to write their 'morning pages', which with luck will be a creative goldmine.

I generally make notes. Most of my material seems to come from when I just crack jokes in conversation. Then every now and again I go through my notes and pick out a choke that I think I can expand. I try to write it as though I'm saying it, and then when it's got a basic structure I rewrite it two or three times. Then gig it.

Every now and again if I'm feeling a bit uninspired I'll do write a stream of consciousness. Doesn't generally get me any material, but gets me in writing mode.

Writing exercises don't usually work for me- I can't force it if I don't already have a kernel of an idea.

Anything which gets you writing, no matter what it is, will help to "loosen" your mind and get the creativity flowing.

Write a blog, lists of films, a review of something you've seen, even a letter to someone, anything at all really, the act of writing will free up the creative part of your brain and you'll find lots of ideas starting to flow.

Another technique I use if I'm really stuck is open a page at random on Wikipedia and then have a read through and see if you can make any jokes from that subject.

The worst thing to do when it comes to writing is to stare at a blank page or empty screen.

I heard the wiki idea from Griff and floating around critique are 2 of my worst ever sketches, written following that guidance

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 14 2011, 2:00 PM BST

The worst thing to do when it comes to writing is to stare at a blank page or empty screen.

For me, running an electrical charge through my urethra has an even worse effect.

I just copy all of Bussell's material. I even do that tucking my penis between my legs thing he does.

Quote: Leevil @ June 14 2011, 2:50 PM BST

I just copy all of Bussell's material. I even do that tucking my penis between Sootyj's legs thing he does.

I wish you wouldn't

But that little giggle you do makes it so much fun!