Latest Monopoly, Includes Bailouts, Cocaine

The latest edition of the classic board game, Monopoly, finally quits kidding itself that capitalism is a jovial game of buying land, building houses, and swapping play money. The 2011 Monopoly is introducing the bailout option, random million dollar bonuses, and enough coke for at least three four-player games of Wall Street-esque transactions.

Daniel Glass, from the 2011 Monopoly team, said, "We found that it's healthy for kids to be exposed to these things at a very early age. Disillusionment is good. It's going to happen to them at some point in their lives. Why wait? That's like putting off circumcision. You don't want to wait till later on that, do you?

"By age ten, they'll understand that they should hide their money and properties from the other players for as long as possible. If the other players perceive weakness, they won't give the weak player loans and will charge them exorbitant rents until they are bankrupt. But of course there is always the bailout option, so you never REALLY lose."

"You don't know what the future cash flows will be on a property," one ten year old said "You gotta get the real estate fast and early in this game!"

There is ten times the amount of money in reserves in the 2011 version. This was in anticipation of inflation and/or bubbles."

Monopoly is considering putting out a game called "Monopoly Zimbabwe." There is no board, no properties. Just a box full of paper that is distributed to every player. And that's it."

That's funny and well written. Worthy of publication on a site somewhere.

I don't know if this is being claimed as original, its funny but not new.
Its been on at least six sites, its funny but not original.
The poke ran it last year.
I think its better to post a link when you come across something funny and I am not for one minute saying it was the posters intention to claim it.

Posting in "critique" certainly points towards it being your own work.

Shame on you patrick.

Hang on guys! I thought that I was going to be notified when someone commented on my stuff. I did write it. It's original. I haven't seen the Poke article. Sometimes there is only so much to make fun of. I've had that happen to me before, I'll think about writing something, but someone has already done a story too similar.

Lady Laughter, please take it easy on me. I'm new to this site so I might not know where to post things. Anything that I post here will be my own writing.

It says Conner Larkin wrote it on the site.

I think you should set up a thread in Showcase headed "The Leaky Wiki" and post your favourite articles. This one is much better than the Batman one.

Also, when joining a site, try looking at the rules, it can really help avoid things like this.

Conner Larkin is a pen name of mine.

Are you still writing those sea faring adventures Patrick?

haha! I've lived my entire life in that guys shadows.

:)

I didn't think this was funny at all Patrick I am afraid. I just didn't get it.

Quote: Will Cam @ April 27 2011, 3:26 PM BST

I didn't think this was funny at all Patrick I am afraid. I just didn't get it.

What if Monopoly was actually based on real life? Then taken to absurdist levels to make satirical observations on modern life.

Quote: Patrick O'Brien @ April 21 2011, 3:48 PM BST

"By age ten, they'll understand that they should hide their money and properties from the other players for as long as possible. If the other players perceive weakness, they won't give the weak player loans and will charge them exorbitant rents until they are bankrupt.

I thought these two sentences contradicted each other, if the other players perceive you have little if any money or property they'd surely consider that a sign of weakness and charge you more.

Personally, I didn't find it especially funny, but if others do, you must have one something right I guess, even if it's been done before.

In the real world Vader banks aren't lending money so readily anymore. The weak player = not the one percent of the population, for example in the US, who own ninety nine percent of the wealth. The reality is more absurd than the conceit here.

Yeah, but my point was that banks would care about how much money and assets you have, not how good you are at hiding them, likewise in the game, if you hide your wealth too well, you'll be perceived as weak and get worse deals.