Farley's Remains (dark comedy for Sitcommission)

Hi all,

First post here I believe! I'd love to hear your thoughts on our sitcommission entry, as we are beginning a run of several venues 'oop north' this summer. We didn't make the cut- but nevertheless- this play needs adapting into an hour long feature in the next month or so and your opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Farley's Remains is a dark-comedy, a tale of one man's decline into isolation and despair. Entrapped with his own sense of guilt and loneliness, Ted Farley begins to quite literally shut himself off from the world.

Sorry the formatting has been messed up a little- can't figure out 'bold' or alignment settings? Oh well. Enjoy...

Thanks in advance,
Kris

SCENE 1. HOSPITAL SIDE WARD

TED FARLEY AWAITS PATIENTLY. HUMMING TO HIMSELF. DR WILLIAMS GREETS HIM WARMLY
DR WILLIAMS

Ah, excuse me are you here to see a Mr Graham Farley?

TED

Yeah, I am

DR WILLIAMS

Ah, so you must be his brother? Ted is it?

TED

Yep

DR WILLIAMS

Alright. OK, Mr Farley. He's right through here (POINTS OUT SIDE WARD.) Now, I understand how difficult this must be, so please feel free to take all the
time you need.

TED NODS AND BEGINS TO WALK IN. DOCTOR PLACES HIS HAND ON TED'S SHOULDER

DR WILLIAMS (CONT'D)

If there is anything, anything at all that you need, please, don't hesitate, I'll be right outside.

TED LOOKS A LITTLE SCARED AND CONFUSED. HE ENTERS THE SIDE WARD.

DR WILLIAMS SMILES AND CLOSES THE DOOR BEHIND TED.

ACROSS THE ROOM LIES GRAHAM, ASLEEP. TED RUSHES OVER AND TAKES A SEAT BESIDE GRAHAM.

TED

Oh, God. Seriously come home. I haven't eaten for twelve days I think I'm going peculiar. (ROCKS GRAHAM TO WAKE HIM) Graham. I said...

GRAHAM (YAWNING)

Oh. My my. What time is it?

TED

Who cares? Please come home, when are they letting you out of this shit-hole? I'm so hungry, I don't know how to work anything, the cat's gone missing, and
five of the curtain hooks have vanished- there's a wasp in the kitchen and a horrible moth in the bathroom, Oh God please come home.

GRAHAM

Oh, well I'm fine. Thanks Ted. Your concern is heart-warming. (YAWNS) Why haven't you eaten? What about all those microwave meals?

TED

Oh God stop nagging, bloody hell I'm not Jamie Oliver. I ate some parsley once and it was f**king horrible. I'm not cut out for experimenting I just want
crisps.

GRAHAM

Crisps? You just don't understand do you Ted? Did you just come here to piss me off? I can't stand your selfishness. I can't live like this. Not anymore.

TED

Haha, anyway. Can I have that banana?

GRAHAM JUST SHRUGS

TED LEANS OVER GRAHAM, HURTING HIM IN THE PROCESS. GRAHAM WINCES.

TED BEGINS TO EAT THE BANANA

TED (CONT'D)

Aaah. Anyway. Asked Linda to marry me. Ended up going to ASDA on my own and drinking a can of beer outside.

TED SPITS OUT THE BANANA ONTO GRAHAM

TED (CONT'D)

Eurgh. It tastes like hospital.

GRAHAM

Went well then did it?

TED

It did actually. Well, she wasn't in. I've left the flowers outside with a little note. God I bloody love her.

GRAHAM

Goodness me Ted. You're making a blasted fool of yourself.

A PAUSE FOR CONSIDERATION

GRAHAM (CONT'D)

Still, would I be your best man?

TED

God no. Why the hell would I pick you? Imagine you stood there all pale and boring. No-one would come. Haha.

GRAHAM SIMPLY ROLLS HIS HEAD AWAY FROM TED AND SAYS NOTHING.

TED (CONT'D)

Can I have them crisps?

NO RESPONSE

TED (CONT'D)

Cheers.

TED GRABS THE CRISPS. HE OPENS THEM FORCEFULLY AND THEY BURST ALL OVER GRAHAM.

TED (CONT'D)

Ah. Didn't want them anyway.

GRAHAM IS SOBBING QUIETLY TO HIMSELF.

TED EATS A CRISP OF GRAHAM'S WEEPING BODY.

TED (CONT'D)

Best go to be honest. This is terrible and depressing.

TED JUMPS UP AND HURRIEDLY GOES TO LEAVE. HE GRABS THE DOOR HANDLE

GRAHAM

I'll be seeing you Ted, sooner than you think

TED

Right. Yeah. Bye. (EXITING) Love you!

TED LEAVES THE WARD. CLOSING THE DOOR BEHIND HIM. DR WILLIAMS ACCOSTS HIM IN THE CORRIDOR.

DR WILLIAMS

Ah, Mr Farley. Everything OK? Is there anyone I could perhaps call on his behalf?

TED

What? No. He has a mobile. Anyway he's being a bit of a Narky Nigel tonight.

DR WILLIAMS (LAUGHS NERVOUSLY)

Excuse me?

TED

Oh, right sorry. I mean, you know (WHISPERS) a bit of a moody bastard. He hardly spoke and when he did he started crying.

DR WILLIAMS

He's awake? He's conscious?

TED

Well, yeah. Obviously.

DR WILLIAMS RIFLES THROUGH HIS NOTES

DR WILLIAMS

Mr Farley, your brother fell into a coma last night- we called you?

TED

What the bloody hell are you on about?

DR WILLIAMS OPENS THE SIDE WARD DOOR AND QUICKLY GASPS AT GRAHAM'S UNCONSCIOUS BODY COVERED IN CRISPS WITH BANANA ROUND HIS MOUTH.

DR WILLIAMS

Oh my. My...

TED FOLLOWS DR WILLIAMS INSIDE

TED

What?

DR WILLIAMS

What...happened in here?

TED

Nothing. God.

TED NOTICES GRAHAM ASLEEP. HE RUSHES OVER AND BEGINS TO SHAKE HIM

TED (CONT'D)

Graham! Graham! Graham you dick wake up the doctor's here.

DR WILLIAMS

Mr Farley, stop that!

TED

Wake up. (THRASHING VIGOROUSLY) Seriously, wake up.

DR WILLIAMS DRAGS TED AWAY

DR WILLIAMS

Stop that! You're hurting him, I told you he's unconscious, he's in a coma!

TED

He's not. He's not I just spoke to him!

DR WILLIAMS

Mr Farley. That man is clearly comatose. I'm a doctor for goodness sake.

TED'S HORRIBLE REALISATION DAWNS.

TED

I've not...it's just I've not....eaten...Oh God

HE GRABS THE BANANA REMNANTS FROM GRAHAM'S CHEST IN HIS HAND AND FLEES THE WARD.

SCENE 2. TED'S FRONT GARDEN. 6 MONTHS LATER.

A MERRY LOOKING TED IS BUSY BUILDING A WALL IN HIS FRONT GARDEN. HE SINGS THE 'BANANAMAN' THEME TUNE AS HE BUILDS.

A MAN IN A VIS-VEST, BARRY, COMES OVER TO INVESTIGATE. HE HOLDS A CLIPBOARD.

BARRY

Excuse me sir. Are, you er...Mr Farley?

TED

Yep

BARRY

My name is Barry Garlow. I'm from the council. Can we have a chat, about er...your wall?

TED

Not interested

BARRY

Right. Well...I am. And, er... so are my colleagues. It appears you have forgone planning permission on this here particular structural improvement.

TED

What? I can build a wall in my own garden?

BARRY

Erm. Well actually Ted. I'm afraid that's not strictly true. Unfortunately we've had...complaints. Er, from the neighbours.

TED

What? F**k the neighbours.

BARRY DRAWS OUT A TAPE MEASURE AND BEGINS MEASURING FROM THE GROUND UPWARDS.

TED SPIES AN OLD WOMAN IN THE NEXT GARDEN.

TED (CONT'D)

Is it you? Have you complained, you miserable old git?

OLD WOMAN

Oh no lovey. I quite like you.

TED

Right. Good.

BARRY (RETRACTS TAPE MEASURE)

Ah, just as I suspected. This grass and foliage here exceeds the minimum 17.4 inches in length which deems it in contravention of the 'Unsightly Growth of
Foliage' act of 2004. I'm afraid we're going to have to take action and mow it before it gets out of hand.

TED

What the bastarding hell are you on about?

BARRY

Erm...maybe I can...come in? For a...talk? A chat, maybe?

TED

All this bureaucracy- I'm bloody well fine, I already sent a poem of complaint to your oafish colleagues and that got me nowhere did it?

BARRY

Please? Just ten minutes, then...I'll go away, leave you alone. If you want.

TED

Bloody hell.

SCENE 3. TED'S LIVING ROOM. CONT.

TED ENTERS THE ROOM, AND PEERS INSIDE SLOWLY. SCANNING THE ROOM FOR SIGNS OF LIFE. BARRY FOLLOWS HIM, LOOKING AROUND THE ROOM SUSPICIOUSLY.

TED

Make sure you wipe that mud off your feet

BARRY (LOOKING AT SHOES)

Er...I haven't. I haven't got mud on my shoes Mr Farley.

TED
Well, wipe it off anyway.

BARRY OBLIGINGLY WIPES HIS FEET WITH HIS HANDS.

TED AND BARRY MAKE THEIR WAY TO THE SOFA. TED REMAINS STANDING AS BARRY GOES TO SIT DOWN TED YELPS

TED (CONT'D)
Ah, ah, ah! No, no. You sit there- on the carpet. I'm not Robert Mugabe but I do insist on it.

BARRY GROANS IN PAIN AS HE LOWERS HIMSELF TO A SITTING POSITION

TED (CONT'D)

Don't worry, there's no spiders on it. Anyway, fancy a drinky-poo?

BARRY

Oh, thank you, er... that would be lovely. Just a tea please...'milk and one.'

TED

Tea's a meal isn't it? Hahaha, but in all seriousness I haven't got any. I have Tango.

BARRY

Right, well er. Tango it is then. Thank you.

BARRY LOOKS A BIT CONCERNED

TED LEAVES THE ROOM AND GOES TO A SMALL CABINET. HE REMOVES A CAN OF TANGO

BARRY (CONT'D)

Oh, in fact. Would you happen to have any water, just tap will do?

TED

No, I don't sorry.

TED RE-ENTERS AND LOBS THE CAN AT BARRY, WHO FLINCHES.

TED (CONT'D)

Anything on the ring pull is mine.

BOTH TED AND BARRY SIT AND SLURP FROM THEIR CANS. THEY SIGH

TED (CONT'D)

In all seriousness, are you planning to sexually assault me? It's just with the vis-vest and all, you might be off The Real Hustle or something?

BARRY

Oh God no, no. Do they do that on The Real Hustle? Sexual assault?

TED JUST SHRUGS

BARRY (CONT'D)

Right, well no I'm not into that Mr Farley. So how are you keeping?

TED

I'm keeping fine, haha, like a beekeeper.

BARRY

Right, well...

TED

Or a goalkeeper.

BARRY

I see...

TED

Or someone who steals ladies underwear and keeps smelling them. Keep.

BARRY

Good. Great...(SLURPS TANGO) it's a lovely place you have here Mr Farley.

TED

No, it's awful. I don't know how anything works- I just order stuff off the internet and hope it arrives. If it wasn't for that I'd probably kill myself.

BARRY

Oh, right, well. That's terrible. Have you thought of counselling?

TED

Are you trying to sell me counselling?

BARRY

Oh...God....no. Of course not. I wouldn't do that. Erm...so...do you live here alone? Is there anyone else?

TED

What is this? Who sent you? I don't know what you're talking about.

BARRY

Right. It's just...we're going to need to sort some retrospective planning permission for this wall of yours. Our listings here mention a Mr Graham Farley as
the property owner, is, er, he around?

TED

Nnnno. (LOOKING SHIFTY) Be right back.

TED FLEES THE ROOM

SCENE 4. TED'S BACK GARDEN

TED SCAMPERS INTO THE BACK GARDEN, LIGHTING A CIGARETTE. HE PANICS AND SCANS THE GARDEN.

TED

Graham! Graham! They're on to us!

A DISHEVELLED GRAHAM IS TRYING TO ESCAPE OVER A SMALL FENCE

TED (CONT'D)

What the f**k are you doing? Where the hell are you going?

TED YANKS GRAHAM FROM THE FENCE, GRAHAM FALLS.

TED (CONT'D)

Don't be a silly lemon.

GRAHAM SOBS TO HIMSELF, SLOWLY GATHERS HIS COMPOSURE AND STANDS UP

GRAHAM (GRABBING TED)

Oh God, please, please let me leave. I have to get back, Ted it's hell out here.

TED (SHAKES OFF GRAHAM)

No! You're not going anywhere! It's nearly time for your salt water, and then it's feeding time.

GRAHAM

Please Ted! This isn't right. It's not fair.

TED

Calm down (SLAPS GRAHAM) Bloody hell.

GRAHAM CALMS DOWN AND WIPES A SMALL TEAR FROM HIS EYE.

TED (CONT'D)

There's...a man. From the council, at least that's what he says. He knows. About you. He has a clipboard. It's getting real bro, like The Wire, only with
vis-vests.

GRAHAM

Don't be ridiculous. Just let me speak to him. I can make it OK, I promise.

TED

No. Don't start this again! You're not allowed inside. Remember, you can't be trusted. Mr Untrustworthy Pants.

GRAHAM

Please. Please Ted. It's so cold here. I'm not well. I have a woodlouse in my sock.

TED

I told you, as soon as I finish the wall, you can come inside. But until then, I want you where I can keep you safe. Safe from prying eyes.

GRAHAM

Have you been on the wacky baccy again? I don't like you using that, I told you, you change...

TED

No, I came to see you and anyway it's none of your business Graham. That's what people do indoors. They take drugs. Not like your world. Your terrible
outside world full of soil and factories.

GRAHAM

Oh, God. I feel so ill. And thirsty...so thirsty.

TED

Ill, schmill. Granddad had cancer and do you know what he did? He got on with it. He joined the Yorkshire shot putting team and two months later it'd gone.

GRAHAM SOBS QUIETLY

TED (CONT'D)

Graham. Tell me what to do. I need you to tell me.

GRAHAM (SOBBING)

Go back inside. Tell him you live alone.

TED

Thanks, now that wasn't so hard was it? (WALKING AWAY) Back to your wheelbarrow, you mindless garden ape. Hahaha. Love you. Toodaloo.

GRAHAM

Ted. Really. Smarten yourself up, you look like an ovary.

TED RUFFLES HIS COLLAR AND STEPS BACK INSIDE

SCENE 5. TED'S LIVING ROOM

BARRY IS LOOKING AT A FRAMED PHOTOGRAPH OF LINDA

TED STANDS WITH HIS ARMS FOLDED AT THE DOOR

BARRY

Oh. Sorry....I Just thought....she's a nice lass

TED

Well you're wrong, looks can be deceiving, she was a bloody stupid bitch. Anyway, can you leave? I'm tired and depressed. Mainly your fault so well done.

BARRY

Oh, but what about all the paperwork, I can't leave without a signature. We have to go through the forms

TED

Oh, we have to go through some forms, I'll tell you what. I'll put your head through the forms, and you'll have papercuts on your face and look like an evil
villain, how will you feel then, when you go back to your council bum-chums? Eurgh, look at Barry with his evil, awful face. Sack him, sack him now!
Disgusting pig.

BARRY

Mr Farley. Please. I'm just trying to help. It doesn't have to be you, it can be Graham, but I just need...

TED

I don't want or need your help. (UNRAVELS A PLASTIC BAG FROM HIS POCKET) I just want you to leave me alone. (PLACES BAG ON HEAD)

BARRY

Mr Farley. I'll only have to come back again next week. I can't allow you to carry out any more construction work until you or your brother fill in this
paperwork.

TED

Right, goodbye.

BARRY LOOKS BEMUSED

BARRY

Erm...I see...right. I'll erm...I'll leave now.

BARRY NERVOUSLY SHUFFLES OUT LOOKING BACK SEVERAL TIMES AT TED. HE CLOSES THE DOOR.

TED

Eurgh. God

SCENE 6. PARK BENCH.

BARRY AND A FELLOW COUNCILLOR SIT ON A PARK BENCH IN THEIR VIS VESTS

COUNCILLOR

Well?

BARRY

He won't budge, but...

COUNCILLOR

Jesus Christ, what's his problem? Drugs is it? Alchy?

BARRY

No, he's just lonely. Can't we just leave him, at least for a few days. He'll come round

COUNCILLOR

No, absolutely not. He's breaking the law whether or not he's a mental case. I don't give a shit about him Barry, and neither should you. Otherwise get a job
in a f**king flower shop for all I care, selling daffodils to old women and wearing cardigans. You're working for the council, so you'd better man up or shit out.

BARRY

I just think, sir, that maybe we should wait for his brother to turn up, and maybe...

COUNCILLOR

Look, I'm sorry to nag. You know I believe in you, Barry. But whatever you're going to try and suggest, the answer is no. Whilst you were in there I did most
of your work for you. I looked up this Graham Farley, the so-called property owner.

BARRY

Me too. Apparently he isn't in today, that's why I think we should wait.

COUNCILLOR

He's dead, Barry. He's been dead for weeks. Poor bastard died in hospital. There is no Graham...

BARRY LOOKS STUNNED

COUNCILLOR (CONT'D)

It's certainly complicated things. Tricky. This is gonna be one tough cookie, even for me. God, how I despise the general public. (PUTS HAND ON BARRY'S
SHOULDER)

You need to learn to deal with people like this. You can't get attached, you're developing a soft spot for the people you're meant to be helping. You're
better than that, Barry. I know you can do it!

BARRY

You want me to go back?

COUNCILLOR

We can't leave here without a signature. Tea and biscuits at five, Barry. Remember what I told you...

SCENE 7. TED'S BACK GARDEN

BARRY IS STOOD AT TED'S WALL, SEARCHING FOR HIM.

TED IS IN THE DISTANCE, MUTTERING.

TED

I don't think it worked...

BARRY IS ABOUT TO RESPOND

TED (CONT'D)

They'll just come back next week, and...

TED (CONT'D)

I know but...

TED (CONT'D)

No, stop asking me that, I'm not f**king stupid.

BARRY SPIES THROUGH THE WALL, AND REALISES THAT TED IS SPEAKING TO NO-ONE BUT HIMSELF.

BARRY (GASPS)

Oh, shit!

TED (FEVERISHLY ALERT)

Who's there?

BARRY FLEES THE SCENE

TED RUNS TO THE FRONT GARDEN. HE LOOKS BACK OVER HIS SHOULDER

TED (CONT'D)

Get back to your wheelbarrow, seriously. I'm being f**king serious now.

TED SLOWLY SIGHS AND PLACES THE LAST BRICK IN HIS WALL, FINALLY SEALING HIMSELF OFF FROM THE WORLD.

HE SINGS THE BANANAMAN THEME TUNE TO HIMSELF AS HE COMPLETES HIS WORK, AND RUBS HIS HANDS TOGETHER

I read it to the end of the first scene. I thought it was a clever idea but when I got the end had to read it again to understand it fully. It didn't strike me as funny. Ted seems over written. It is as though you are trying too hard to explain all his charecter too early. It was too much, too quick. I'm sorry for being negative.

I agree with Batleywriter that Ted's a bit overwritten (like most scripts, including my own, the dialogue needs trimming and sharpening). But I saw quite a bit of humour in this, and enjoyed it. I agree it's dark, but I like that. It's an interesting idea and I wanted to know what happens next.

On the negative side I didn't feel there's enough story here for a full episode, and I can't see it as a sitcom by any stretch of the imagination.

As the first bit of an hour-long play (depending on what happens next in the story) I'd say it's got potential.

I agree with Frantically.
I did like it very much and I also like 'dark'. I wondered too how you could get say six episodes out of the 'theme'

Wow, thanks everyone. Very helpful feedback. Thanks for taking the time out, and I think we seem to have a theme going on here - this isn't really a sit-com- but I'm very happy you think it has potential if this was the opening to a play (which it will be) and so I'm off to write the next 30-45 mins and there is so much story got squeezed out to get this to 15 mins.

I'll try to make that first scene a little less expositional maybe.

Interestingly it was pointed out that the first scene needed re-reading to get a better sense of it, may I ask what was confusing about it? We performed a read through of this script last week and it doesn't kick off til scene 2- but would appreciate some thoughts on HOW to maintain that interest throughout scene 1.

p.s the banana gag works suprisingly well when acted out ;)

Thanks guys, and if any of you need critique just point me to your scripts I'll be happy to feed back.

K