Not Going Out - Series 4 Page 21

Quote: zooo @ February 10 2011, 10:42 PM GMT

The very end? Should think it was the lighting. I didn't notice it.

Yes, it certainly doesn't seem like something that would happen in NGO. Must be a mixure of the lighting and me being a daft soft cow. :)

Quote: Lindyloop @ February 8 2011, 10:57 PM GMT

If that's true then NGO really must have a curse on it- First Catherine Tate, then Megan Dodds, then Miranda Hart, then getting cancelled, then Tim Vine leaving...

Catherine Tate leaving a show is a blessing, not a curse.

Let's hope all this talk of last night's episode being the last is untrue, as it would be a shame for such a great show to go out on a shocker that was last night's episode. Bitterly disappointed.

What a shame Daisy was underused in last night's episode. The character is very reminiscent of Rose from 'Two and a Half Men' and gives the series a really nice balance.

This was a great series, I thought. A little OTT at times, maybe, but a welcome contrast to the many sitcoms going for realism. There's room for everything. I don't think Tim Vine being in the show is that much of a deal breaker if they want to do more. Which they definitely should.

Quote: Aaron @ February 10 2011, 10:18 PM GMT

Lower on the laugh-count this week, sadly. But there were still a few gems, and it was great to see Lee and Lucy getting together - even if it was only in a dream for now.

Agreed. It was great to see a bit of Lee/Lucy action- my heart melted just a little. Lovey
Not the funniest but worked as a final episode and after the crap day I had yesterday it was just what I needed. Enjoyable series too- I'm praying for the next. Still one of the best sitcoms for me.

I don't think Tim Vine being in the show is that much of a deal breaker if they want to do more. Which they definitely should.

I agree that they should make more. However I think that it would be a mistake to carry on without Tim.

The series works well when there's a sense of threat to carry the narrative along. First of all there was Tim's ex-girlfriend, so there was a sense of "threat" getting in the way of the characters becoming romantically involved.

Then there was the combination of Lucy being Tim's sister and her having an older boyfriend. So there is a proper structure to pin the funny stuff to.

But if Tim goes, there's no "threat" or barrier in the way of Lucy and Lee getting together. Unless they wrote another boyfriend in I don't think it would work quite as well.

Last two episodes, about dementia and a coma, were upsetting to me as subjects due to personal history but still some of the humour was top class and I really hope there is another series. I do hope Tim Vine returns but Lee Mack is the star.

Another great series. I loved last night's episode. Probably made more sense if you are a Life on Mars fan too!

Hope there's another series - and Tim stays....

Stanley

Quote: Clint75 @ February 11 2011, 8:37 PM GMT

I agree that they should make more. However I think that it would be a mistake to carry on without Tim.

The series works well when there's a sense of threat to carry the narrative along. First of all there was Tim's ex-girlfriend, so there was a sense of "threat" getting in the way of the characters becoming romantically involved.

Then there was the combination of Lucy being Tim's sister and her having an older boyfriend. So there is a proper structure to pin the funny stuff to.

But if Tim goes, there's no "threat" or barrier in the way of Lucy and Lee getting together. Unless they wrote another boyfriend in I don't think it would work quite as well.

I think, Tim or no, the idea would probably now be that Lucy and Lee do get together - then you have that threat and conflict within the relationship, and also presumably with Tim not entirely approving (if he stays). Otherwise, there are realms of possibilities - Lee gets a job, their respective parents, eventually kids...

Quote: Aaron @ February 12 2011, 12:24 AM GMT

the idea would probably now be that Lucy and Lee do get together

But history suggests that sitcom characters getting what they ultimately yearn for (a relationship, marriage, money, respect, escape from the mundane, whatever...) almost invariably kills the funny.

Quote: Clint75 @ February 11 2011, 8:37 PM GMT

I agree. Though there are other options as well. Bottom line for me though is that it has got gradually less good (though still good) as it has gone on (from a very high base as well). At its best I have loved this show, and I am the sort of caring relative that wouldn't deny termination right now.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 12 2011, 12:45 AM GMT

But history suggests that sitcom characters getting what they ultimately yearn for (a relationship, marriage, money, respect, escape from the mundane, whatever...) almost invariably kills the funny.

He is right, you know. It took Friends several series to rein things back, for example. NGO is over, unless Megan Dodds's character makes a comeback. Them's the facts.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 12 2011, 12:45 AM GMT

Is a relationship with Lucy what he ultimately yearns for? Would going out with her resolve every conflict in his life, make him suddenly very successful in work? To the latter, no. To the former, it's part of what he wants, but I don't think it's the whole. It's true that it would remove an element of the conflict within the show, but that doesn't mean that something else won't be able to come up in its place.

Quote: Badge @ February 12 2011, 12:51 AM GMT

He is right, you know.

No need to sound so surprised, Badge! Over 14,000 posts I've got on here, pretty much every single one of them containing some golden nugget of comedy wisdom. Pleased

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 12 2011, 12:58 AM GMT

No need to sound so surprised, Badge! Over 14,000 posts I've got on here, pretty much every single one of them containing some golden nugget of comedy wisdom. Pleased

Tim, I wasn't at all surprised. Neither was I by Aaron's comments. You are still right. Give 'em what they want and the story is dead - it should have been a 90-min rom-com, maybe. Give 'em what they don't want but think they might get but never do and you have a sitcom.