Recommend - Comedy Guidance

Hello,

I just thought all you budding comedy writers might like to share the names of the books that have helped you write recently.

When I write Horatio, I always keep looking at my book, Writing Comedy, by Ronald Wolfe (writer of On the Buses, The Rag Trade and Take a Letter Mr Jones). It is a fabulous book and has been recommended by comedy legend Denis Norden and also Laurence Marks and Maurice Gran, who wrote Birds of a Feather

Please share

Moved thread.

Not read any on sitcom/comedy writing, so can't comment. I think just watching and reading scripts of your favourite shows is a pretty good education, so long as you watch/read them with your writer's hat on, rather than as simply a fan.

For screenwriting (of whatever genre), I think William Goldman's Adventures in the Screen Trade is a must-read. It's worth reading just for all the great stories, but it does teach you a hell of a lot about what's important when constructing a screenplay. And it's a good book on just being a writer in general.

For comedy writing, 'The Comic Toolbox' by John Vorhaus has been very helpful.

Comedy Writing Secrets by Melvin Helitzer is a good read.

Or, you could just watch "Episodes" and do the exact opposite.

John Byrne 'Writing Comedy'.

Gene Perret's New Comedy Writing Step by Step is another good 'un.

Quote: don rushmore @ February 3 2011, 8:05 PM GMT

Gene Perret's New Comedy Writing Step by Step is another good 'un.

I know I'll sound like a right prude saying this, but did he not have a proof reader for this? It's laced with errors (spelling, grammatical), although the advice is mostly quite good. :)

Quote: Griff @ February 3 2011, 9:47 PM GMT

*whispers* "...I think he's American"

Actually I have this book but not read it yet - lots of people have said good things about it.

I tell you what's a f**king terrible book. How To Write Comedy by Brad Ashton. It's like listening to advice from a pissed uncle at a wedding.

Not on your nelly!

Quote: lummycorks @ February 1 2011, 8:38 PM GMT

When I write Horatio, I always keep looking at my book, Writing Comedy, by Ronald Wolfe

I use that Writing comedy book too. I think its fabulous. I also think watching and studying sitcoms is an extremely good way to learn

"And Here's the Kicker - conversations with 21 top humour writers on their craft" by Mike Sacks, Writers Digest Books 2009, is quite interesting and useful. Mostly American writers, including people like Marshall Brickman who wrote Annie Hall with Woody Allen, but also Stephen Marchant and some other Brits.

Woody Allen in various interviews, Alan Ayckbourn (The Crafty Art of Playwriting, I think it's called) and Neil Simon (Rewrites) are also all interesting and insightful about writing comedy.

Quote: Marooned @ February 2 2011, 11:55 AM BST

For comedy writing, 'The Comic Toolbox' by John Vorhaus has been very helpful.

Reading it, I'm puzzled by his insistence that there should be happy endings. So many great sitcoms leave the characters in agony. Take Fawlty Towers; the one time Basil thinks he's actually come out of things on top, after gambling on the horses, he loses it all in the last few seconds.

Quote: Nogget @ June 27 2011, 9:49 AM BST

Reading it, I'm puzzled by his insistence that there should be happy endings. So many great sitcoms leave the characters in agony. Take Fawlty Towers; the one time Basil thinks he's actually come out of things on top, after gambling on the horses, he loses it all in the last few seconds.

I think he actually says in the book that that's just his preference.