The C-word

It was my nephews 6th birthday last weekend, isn't it odd how people speak in front of children...and animals, spelling words out or saying don't say the f-word or the c-word.

Well I got to my nephews party and and my sister first thing she says is "don't mention the c-word"
I mean I have been innapropriate in the past but she said it as if I might run round screaming it in 6 year olds faces like some sort of foul mouthed maniac.....and then she says "your nephews afraid of them"
"....what?" I replied
"the c-word he's afraid of them"
"he's afraid of...."
"so I've arranged for one to come over today and see if we can cure his fear"
I looked at my Sister in disbelief
Now I don't know about my nephew but I got the shock of my like when that f**king clown turned up!

I'm thinking of putting this in my stand up I think its quite a good play on words but needs to be improved, constructive criticism most appreciated.

I see two problems here, Adam

Firstly, the allegedly true story isn't based in reality. Has anybody ever been asked not to say the rude c-word in front of a 6-year-old? I really doubt it. But that's what your audience has to believe if the joke is to work.

Secondly, most (possibly all) of your audience will see the punchline coming a long time before it arrives.

In fact, the first problem compounds the second as the audience will think (in a fraction of a second):

Don't mention the c-word?
She can't mean 'c**t'. Nobody would say that in front of a 6-year-old.
What else can she mean?
Oh it's a children's party, she must mean 'clown'!

And you'll still be a long way from delivering the punchline.

That's only my opinion, of course.

Others may disagree.

I appreciate the critique Veronica, I just wanted to see if I could make a joke based around the c-word without using it, hmmm I will have re-think how I can get from the set up to the punchlione before it becomes obvious. Thanks.

It'll work but you need to trim it . . . with a chainsaw!

It would most definitely be hilarious if you turn it on its head and
have everyone thinking that the "C" refers to a clown and then the
six year-old looks out the window and shouts: Hey mum, that c**t of
a clown's arrived. Or something along those lines.

I really ike that idea Stephen thanks, it made me laugh reading it, if the 6 year old says the real c-word then its a lovely little twist and surprising, thanks for your help guys