Black and Asian people in the Carry-On'

I was laying in bed the others day thinking about the carry on films (the way you do). How life in the seventies seemed so much simpler with no traffic on the roads and the street were always clean. When I thought, “Were there any black people in the carry on films?”

Clearly there were many black and Asian people in the UK at the time but I don’t recall any in this most popular series of films.

I may be wrong, so does anyone recall any with speaking rolls?

No particular reason behind the question just thought it would make a good topic

Barry

I can't actually respond to the question, but I did feel it necessary to mention a rather bizarre coincidence.
Just before I left for the Gym this morning, the ABC network was playing 'Carry On Dick'. I was thinking how odd it was to be on at that time and also how I hadn't seen a Carry on film for years... then 'hey bingo', you mention it. Odd.

Can't remember any in particular, but remember the odd person being 'blacked up'. Not sure exactly in which films though.

Can't recall any myself. Perhaps a very quick walk-on type part, but nothing substantial. Of course, quite a few were set "in a time and place" where there wouldn't really have been a significant enough number of (if any) non-whites to warrant featuring; Dick, Henry, etc.

...Actually, I'm sure Khyber must have had some, if only for the siege scene at the end.

Quote: Britcom Barry @ December 28, 2006, 9:31 PM

How life in the seventies seemed so much simpler with no traffic on the roads and the street were always clean.

You've been watching too many seventies-based sitcoms and films.

Well, they do tend to be the best. ;)

Not sure about that. There were some good shows, but an awful lot of shite and I'm not sure that they're an accurate reflection of Britain in the seventies - at least, not if Barry's view is anything to go on.

Well, if you read back, that's not his view (as I understand it), but the view portrayed in such shows and films.

But quite. There's always a lot of shite (J&J now, of course), but IMO at least, the best then was better than the best now.

Better than the best now, I agree, but that wouldn't be hard. And the best from the 70s doesn't outweigh the best from the 60s, 80s and 90s, three other decades which produced some first rate, ground breaking shows...IMO.

Apologies to Bazza if I misread your initial comments.

Can't say for certain whether of not he was actually in a Carry On but Kenny Lynch is a name that springs to mind because he was very omnipresent in most programmes in the 70's.

Quote: Baumski @ December 29, 2006, 3:30 PM

Can't say for certain whether of not he was actually in a Carry On but Kenny Lynch is a name that springs to mind because he was very omnipresent in most programmes in the 70's.

kenny lynch was indeed in a carry on film, carry on loving to be precise. he appeared, briefly, as a bus conducter asking a randy young couple if they were "going all the way" followed by a perfect comedy wink. nice one kenny

Ahhh yes, how could I forget?! Brilliant little scene, that. :)

Quote: Aaron @ December 28, 2006, 10:51 PM

Can't recall any myself. Perhaps a very quick walk-on type part, but nothing substantial. Of course, quite a few were set "in a time and place" where there wouldn't really have been a significant enough number of (if any) non-whites to warrant featuring; Dick, Henry, etc.

...Actually, I'm sure Khyber must have had some, if only for the siege scene at the end.

Well this old boy had three weeks down at Pinewood on Khyber dressed up like this....''I see no ships,only hardships''
Whistling nnocently http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/harryfielder/carry%20on/animation.gif

Aitch,

Can you name many great black and asian speaking parts in comedy from say ...2006?

I think it's still only Lenny Henry. If true, this in not good for two reasons.

1: Lenny Henry is still doing it all by himself.
2: We're still stuck with Lenny Henry.