Steve Punt - Britain's Best Comedy Performer?

I don't know about you, but I sometimes like to read the credits on Sitcoms, Panel shows and sketch shows. The name which mostly pops up is Steve Punt's. The only time I've heard of him was listening to 'The Now Show' with Hugh Dennis.

My case for Steve Punt is his diversity in comedy. Not only does he contribute his ideas and scripts for children's educational sketch show 'Horrible Histories' he also does writings and jokes for Mock The Week.

Starting out with Jasper Carrott in "Carrott Confidential" playing various characters in 1987, in 2010, he's contributed to Frost on Satire, Mock The Week, Would I Lie To You and Horrible Histories in the last year alone.

Check out his Internet Movie Database (IMBD) Page

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0700607/

Thanks for reading!

Undoubtedly a prolific comedy writer but I don't see why that would make him "Britain's Best Comedy Performer?

Having said that I enjoyed both him and Hugh Dennis on the Mary Whitehouse Experience back in the day, despite Newman and Baddiel getting all the attention.

I like a bit of Punt, but that's quite a claim!

Hugh Dennis maybe.
But Steve Punt? Do me a favour.

Well seeing as the IMDB link didn't have a photo, so I had to Google him, and I'm not much the wiser.

Yes he does seem to get a lot of credits and that's good for him. But so do at least 20 or 30 odd other comedy faces who have become contributors rather than performers. It's what's made breaking into comedy writing so very hard for talented outsiders, the fact that many of the old 'has been' performers have slotted into a comfortable 2nd career by way of being known in the industry, of having proved themselves to some degree on TV in the past and not least of course by making friends with producers and programme makers, especially at the eternally susceptible BBC, where prods and execs can bathe themselves in the reflected glory of celebrity and fame by asking that nice so and so round to a dinner party to show off to his non industry friends and of course make them the godparents of their next little brat.

However I would say that the best ones are the ones who get the biggest audiences and best reviews etc. That leaves Punt and all the others like him as also rans, jouneypersons, makeweights, lightweights and generally careerist dogsbodies who don't know when to give up and make way for more deserving and genuine talent, and who might even enjoy their middling, piddling, no more than smile raising genteel MOR Radio 4 centred existence. Morning. :)

Maybe Punt like being mainly a comedy writer; and is even good at it and deserving of his continued success. Just an idea, of course.

He probably does and I dare say he is, at what he does, which isn't the boldest writing in the world imo and I would call him a contributor rather than a frontline writer. Where is the sitcom or comedy drama in his name alone? This was my point, that he is good at being the 2nd or even 3rd best type of comedian/comedy writer, he's fallen safely onto the CBeebies and Radio 4 gravy train for comedians who were pushed out of the main ring by the Mertons and Frys and Boyles. Morning.

No disrespect to (the obviously talented) Steve Punt, but he wasn't even the 'Best Comedy Performer' in The Mary Whitehouse Experience...

On a related note, anyone for Ringo as the Britain's Best Drummer?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 24 2010, 9:20 AM BST

Yes he does seem to get a lot of credits and that's good for him. But so do at least 20 or 30 odd other comedy faces who have become contributors rather than performers. It's what's made breaking into comedy writing so very hard for talented outsiders, the fact that many of the old 'has been' performers have slotted into a comfortable 2nd career by way of being known in the industry, of having proved themselves to some degree on TV in the past and not least of course by making friends with producers and programme makers, especially at the eternally susceptible BBC, where prods and execs can bathe themselves in the reflected glory of celebrity and fame by asking that nice so and so round to a dinner party to show off to his non industry friends and of course make them the godparents of their next little brat.

However I would say that the best ones are the ones who get the biggest audiences and best reviews etc. That leaves Punt and all the others like him as also rans, jouneypersons, makeweights, lightweights and generally careerist dogsbodies who don't know when to give up and make way for more deserving and genuine talent, and who might even enjoy their middling, piddling, no more than smile raising genteel MOR Radio 4 centred existence. Morning. :)

Blimey.