The Big Bang Theory

Two Uber-Nerds, Leonard (Johnny Galecki from "Roseanne") and Sheldon (Jim Parsons from "Judging Amy"), live in a ram-shackle, slum of an apartment building complete with broken elevator. After chickening out on donating sperm, the return to find an enormously beautiful neighbor moving in names Penny (Kaley Cuoco from "8 Simple Rules", and yes, she is hot.) Leonard falls in love with her immediately and they invite her over for food. There, she get innundated with nerd-cliches. As the building is crappy, she ultimately uses their shower with Leonard right there and asks him to get her TV from her Ex-Boyfriend whom she just split with. He accepts and the two nerds go to find the Ex, who is a huge body-building hunk of a guy who steals their pants. When they get home, she apologizes and takes them to dinner, fueling Leonard's determination to win her heart.

Not a bad debut for a series. The jokes are funny ("Klingon Boggle", comparing the size of their charts) and the dialogue is rife with nerdy dialogue referencing everything geeky under the sun. The characters are likable. The girl is accessable. My only concern is that I have no idea how they'll sustain the series for multiple years on it's one joke premise. I hope it rises out of the sit-com standard situations we've seen a million times before. It can get old very fast. But it was good, and I'll watch more in the future.

Sounds like it's the type of show that has a lot of potential (or that 'they' would see as having potential) for numerous seasons.

Oh, and just for Lee:

:D

I'll tell you in 30 minutes, what I think of it, I bet you all can't wait.

Meh, I did not like that at all. It did what The IT Crowd so brilliantly does not do, geeky references.

The acting, jokes, timing, references and situation was so boring, I only watched all the way through to do this review, which ironically is a geeky think to do.

But anyway, it was piss poor.

Kaley Cuoco is the best! I've been on The Big Bang Theory Fan Site and it looks good: Kaley's site/forum is cool too.

Does anyone know when The Big Bang Theory is aired here in the UK?

I think it'll be on Channel 4 sometime.

Quote: Leevil @ September 26, 2007, 12:43 AM

Meh, I did not like that at all. It did what The IT Crowd so brilliantly does not do, geeky references.

The acting, jokes, timing, references and situation was so boring, I only watched all the way through to do this review, which ironically is a geeky think to do.

But anyway, it was piss poor.

Like I said, I think it's a one joke show. They're nerds. The joke's over now, so what will they do? WIll next week be more of the same? Can they hope to get 100 episodes out of this premise? I don't think they set up a situation where you can successfully come back every week and be excited to follow these guys as it's all about Leonard's unrequited love. It was okay, better than some shows, but it's not anything special.

And I just started watching The IT Factor and agree it's a much better show mining the same territory. The jokes rely on the characters, even if it is a bit more surreal. Be interesting to see the American Version to see if they go the same route.

-Erik

Quote: Leevil @ September 26, 2007, 12:15 AM

:D

I'll tell you in 30 minutes, what I think of it, I bet you all can't wait.

Well after seeing the picture Aaron posted I can tell you what I think of the show after two minutes and a little exertion... Very satisfying :D

I'm thinking of giving it another try next week.

Or I might just find some racy pics of Kaley Cuoco on the net and stare at those for about 30 minutes.

-Erik

The IT Crowd didn't have Kaley Cuoco in it.

Quote: Dave @ September 30, 2007, 9:01 PM

The IT Crowd didn't have Kaley Cuoco in it.

Personally, I find Katherine Parkinson wayyyy more sexy. I mean waaaayyyyyyyy more. A girl who can do comedy they way she can is hot.

-Erik

Pretty funny show. Every scene with Howard in is brilliant.

One thing that bugs me though is how Sheldon is so unlikable!

Quote: Erik @ September 28, 2007, 10:23 PM

Or I might just find some racy pics of Kaley Cuoco on the net and stare at those for about 30 minutes.

(I think I always preferred Amy Davidson myself.)

Quote: Erik @ October 3, 2007, 5:44 AM

Personally, I find Katherine Parkinson wayyyy more sexy. I mean waaaayyyyyyyy more.