Always Leave Them Laughing

This is a short demo pilot for a documentary I am making on the late great Tommy Cooper. The documentary is about Tommy's early life in Exeter. I created, presented and directed the piece as I will the documentary.

all feedback welcome :)

Many Thanks,

Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-RuT533v4

Better production values than Cotter's effort, though the presenting is poor. Your eyes are remarkably dead and your voice comes across as uninterested in your subject.

This is clearly an exercise as part of your joint courses. And it looks like it.

C-

Quote: Empty @ April 7 2010, 10:14 PM BST

Better production values than Cotter's effort, though the presenting is poor. Your eyes are remarkably dead and your voice comes across as uninterested in your subject.

This is clearly an exercise as part of your joint courses. And it looks like it.

C-

Ok thanks, will take that on board during the production of the full documentary

Quote: Empty @ April 7 2010, 10:14 PM BST

Better production values than Cotter's effort

Laughing out loud

Quote: James Cotter @ April 7 2010, 10:26 PM BST

Laughing out loud

By which I mean it was audible - but you presented far better. I think presenting may actually be a route for you. Not that you will take that as a compliment, because you want to be Coogan/Gervais. But you never know, your life may take you in random journeys. We are the sport of Gods.

Quote: Empty @ April 7 2010, 10:29 PM BST

By which I mean it was audible - but you presented far better. I think presenting may actually be a route for you. Not that you will take that as a compliment, because you want to be Coogan/Gervais. But you never know, your life may take you in random journeys. We are the sport of Gods.

I laughed because I filmed it!

Yes mine did have audio problems, that's a fair comment and it was something I worked on my latest documentary.

I don't mind presenting but it's not really my main interest. Thank you for the compliment it is something I will think about.

Quote: James Cotter @ April 7 2010, 10:33 PM BST

I laughed because I filmed it!

Yes mine did have audio problems, that's a fair comment and it was something I worked on my latest documentary.

I don't mind presenting but it's not really my main interest. Thank you for the compliment it is something I will think about.

You must also teach me how to present please? Teary

Quote: Dan Pearce @ April 7 2010, 10:33 PM BST

I couldn't as it's hard to look you in those dead eyes :P

Quote: Dan Pearce @ April 7 2010, 10:33 PM BST

Easy = be interested in what you're talking about. No, be passionate.

Quote: Empty @ April 7 2010, 10:36 PM BST

That is one thing I can do. Passion, especially when talking about my heroes.

Quote: Empty @ April 7 2010, 10:36 PM BST

ok thank you for the feedback for now.

Am agreeing in most part with Empty here.

My only other comment would be don't tilt your head back as you speak, nor look downward into the camera. In body language it denotes arrogance. And although you may not intend this, and some presenters / entertainers do this, it can provoke an antipathy (however subconscious) from your audience. You want to establish a bond not antagonism.

Quote: SlagA @ April 8 2010, 1:08 PM BST

Am agreeing in most part with Empty here.

My only other comment would be don't tilt your head back as you speak, nor look downward into the camera. In body language it denotes arrogance. And although you may not intend this, and some presenters / entertainers do this, it can provoke an antipathy (however subconscious) from your audience. You want to establish a bond not antagonism.

I did wonder whether the "dead eyes" syndrome was due to camera angle - his top lids were half-closed - though to be fair his eyes behind his lids were pretty unlively also.

Like your signature, Empty. I'd be tempted to add after the ellipsis "... and then there are bad days."

Quote: SlagA @ April 8 2010, 1:30 PM BST

Like your signature, Empty. I'd be tempted to add after the ellipsis "... and then there are bad days."

If the original quote had it I'd use it - though yours is better.