Andrew Dodds: Introduction to my comedy lectures

Ever thought of a career in comedy? If so, well done! By simply clicking on this thread you've taken the first step towards realising your dream.

Do you have the 'funny' in your. Is every word paved in comic irony and inch perfect observation. Do people laugh when you sneeze? If so I might just be the man to help?

What is comedy?

Comedy is the slight of hand that plays with your cognitive perceptions. When we write comedy we are calling for the eighth wonder. The key to comedy is humour a word derived from the Greek mythological creature 'Humoray the dunce' who is featured in many artistic impressions wearing a early version of a clowns hat while coughing up a baby's arm. So; you know what comedy is, you've a fresh cup of granulated and a Daz white screen just waiting for your funny words to be dirtied all over it. Not so fast buttercup. If only it were that simple!

Years of hard work have afforded me many privileges not least being in attendance at busy London theatre and hearing the sweet honeysuckle sound at laughter at my comedy material I had written when my 'War is not laughing matter. HAHA' sketch was performed for the highly popular radio series Newsjack.

I believe a lot of you have the potential to reach the status I currently enjoy in the industry. When you watch a comedy program for instance a sitcom you are laughing at rounded characters, sharp dialogue but most importantly you are laughing at a funny script. If it was not funny you would not be laughing.
I possess both the knowledge and the wit to succeed in this genre and wish to let others know some trade secrets. Quiet Jones while I'm talking. (witty paridox of boarding school master).

I am currently in talks with a leading hotel chain about holding several one day workshops of my course 'Funny bones for u' which will be up and running by June.

Eckie thumb as Nana Dorris used to say (unusual comic phrase and humourous subject matter (i.e grandmothers)) don't look so worried, in the meantime I am giving you the opportunity to see my comic material before it is sent to producers and furthermore you'll be given access to an exclusive peak as some of my tricks of the trade are revealed for the first time, in what I would like to call my comedy 'quickies' (innuendo).

As I said to my girlfriend just before I dropped her at the school gates (shock value) life is not handed to you on a plate, and furthermore if it was it wouldn't be worth living (intentional dodge of predictable innuendo in place of poignant content).

Keep Writing!

Andrew Dodds, Nuneaton, February 2010

Andrew - you're a comedy character right?

Particularly enjoyed the witty paridox.

I have read over your sketches and believe a lot of you have the potential to reach the status I currently enjoy in the industry.'

Laughing out loud

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 23 2010, 1:55 PM GMT

Andrew - you're a comedy character right?

Park up a minute Dolly.
I would consider myself a comedian and would also like to think I have a substantial personality (so Nana Dorris tells me!) but I am essentually a man and so no I am not a 'comedy character', I feel you have totally missed the point of what I and my introductory web-conference was about.

I would consider you a comedian too Andrew.

Which episode of Newsjack was your sketch on Andrew?

Yes, and have you more examples of the witty paridox?

Yes, in truth I have got to the stage where I can more or less call upon humourous to magic them up seemingly from thin air. There will be a whole lecture on this notion in the 'Funnybonesforu' workshops.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 23 2010, 3:04 PM GMT

Which episode of Newsjack was your sketch on Andrew?

If memory serves it was the penultimate ep (episode) of the first series, it was also a commentary on political fat cats; in short a comic homage to Bob Dylan's classic 'Masters of war'.

Ah, and you wrote it under a different name?

How many series has there been?

Two.

Did you submit anything for the 2nd series Andrew?

Why didn't he get any in the second series then?

Quote: Marc P @ February 23 2010, 3:11 PM GMT

Why didn't he get any in the second series then?

He's probably a very busy man, what with all the Comedy Guru-ing and that.

Well spotted on nom de plume Dolly. I am worried that too much is being focused on Andrew Dodds the Newsjack writer I have had other (admittedly less notable successes) I fear are being overlooked.