Kelly Monteith

I recall watching Kelly Monteith when he was given his own series on BBC 2 when I was a teenager. I used to love watching it. I cannot seem to find any releases of his series on VHS or DVD, but I have found he has his own website now, with a few clips to watch. Like he says on his website, the BBC seem to have buried the series deep in their archives. You will have to update to the latest quicktime player to view them.

http://www.kellymonteith.com/Home.html

I noticed looking at the clips, how much of a gentleman Kelly Monteith is on his site. When he names the actors he is starring alongside, even in the smallest clip. If only more actors, comedians and film stars would do that.

edited by zooo for punctuation

Quote: moonvisage @ February 4 2010, 6:21 PM GMT

I recall watching Kelly Monteith when he was given his own series on BBC 2 when I was a teenager.

Ditto. Buggered if I can remember any of it though. It was a sketch show wasn't it? Did he do stand up too? I seem to remember he had a really kind face.

Wow, scary memories of my youth unfolding. Must...resist...

That is my problem as well. I remember it being on, and watching it, but I just cannot remember anything much about it. I do remember loving it when I watched it, especially the first series. Maybe his face was so kind, he turned bland in our brains, and he managed to find a way to erase himself from all human memories?

edited by zooo

The dogs nose is warm!
Honk Honk!

Erm that's all I remember, but I did like it very much at the time.

I liked it too. Featured the lovely Gabrielle Drake. I recall a sketch where he was a private eye but everyone called him a private dick. Should this be in Other British Comedy as it was a BBC show?

I remember watching him on the Dave Allen show. And yes he did have a very friendly, likeable face and persona. I'm sure I watched his show, but obviously I was too wee at the time to remember much.

I vaguely remember it too.

Wasn't it a sitcom about him living in his flat?

Fondly remembered by a lot of people. His name comes up sometimes in those 'where are they now' features in papers and TV Quick type magazines.
I think he came to prominence on Des O'Connor's show who would frequently have US guests and Kelly seem to strike a chord with British viewers.
Des would giggle relentlessly at all his American guests which would annoy my dad bigtime as he would often inform that 'Yanks are daft as assholes' and none of their humour is funny.
I later found out he was completely wrong on the latter point.

I remember Kelly as one of the first comedians I had seen doing observational comedy. He was from a very short line of Canadian comedians (unless anyone can name any others?).

I used to love Kelly Monteith. There wasn't really a lot of observational comedy on telly at that time. Just pre-alternative, I guess.

Quote: will Cam @ February 12 2010, 2:24 PM GMT

I remember Kelly as one of the first comedians I had seen doing observational comedy. He was from a very short line of Canadian comedians (unless anyone can name any others?).

Kids in the Hall

There is a very funny Asian guy who I think is another Russell and a lot of good comic actors such as Dan Acroyd, Leslie Neilsen and of course William Shatner in TJ Hooker.

Jack Dee was also very good as the Mountie in Chicago.

It was described at the time as gentle comedy, typical of Canadians, it wasn't mean in any way, or you could also say it had no balls. The man was just too likeable to be a great success for long, although many viewers liked it. I remember smiling at it but not laughing. I doubt many would find it funny today, it really was very slight and not very profound observational comedy.

Yes I remember him too now but had forgotten all about him til this thread. :)

One scene I remember (which may even have been someone else to be fair but I'm sure was around the same time) was when he had a date over and he was in a bedsit style place and didn't want to draw attention to the bed but in his head (and the set) it got bigger and bigger. V silly but cool at the time.

Would love to watch an episode again on TV.

:)

Quote: will Cam @ February 12 2010, 7:24 PM GMT

Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis,Martin Short,Jim Carrey

Quote: will Cam @ February 12 2010, 7:24 PM GMT

KELLY MONTEITH has a been a comedian for more than thirty five years. Born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri...

From his website.