Films involving coming back from heaven.

Is there a special name for the type of film which has the protagonist going to heaven (or hell), and then going/being sent back down to earth for some reason?

What examples can people offer me please?
I can think of A Matter of Life and Death; Tom and Jerry, Heavenly Puss (I think); and others whose names elude me.

Well, Peter Jackson's upcoming Lovely Bones involves a young girl being murdered and going to heaven. And she gets to watch what happens to her family afterwards.

The most famous heaven film is A Matter Of Life And Death, in which David Niven has to prove he's worthy to go back to earth in a court of law. I think. It's been a while since I saw it.

Then there's What Dreams May Come, starring Robin Williams, about a man who goes to hell to find his ex wife. Visually stunning, but dull as dishwater.

And let's not forget there's an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm in which Larry David, dies, goes to heaven, argues with God (?) and gets sent back.

I can't think of a specific genre names for films with this sort of storyline. There's usually angels involved. I wonder if you'd class It's A Wonderful Life in this category? Maybe they could be a sub genre of redemption movies.

Then there's Heaven Can Wait, the Warren Beatty film about a footballer who dies and comes back as a millionaire. That was a remake of something.

And Hellboy involves, er, Hellboy, coming back from Hell.

And also in Buffy the Vampire Slayer Angel ends up going to hell. And Buffy goes to heaven. Both come back and find it tough to adjust.

And in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey Bill and Ted are killed by androids from the future and end up in hell. It's a good film.

Quote: Nogget @ December 17 2009, 11:22 AM GMT

Is there a special name for the type of film which has the protagonist going to heaven (or hell), and then going/being sent back down to earth for some reason?

Bangsian fantasy. Though 'life after death' films is equally apt.

My favourite film of this type is 'Carousel'.

Rogers and Hammerstein's finest creation.

Quote: Kenneth @ December 17 2009, 11:48 AM GMT

Bangsian fantasy.

Thanks! :)

Quote: Kenneth @ December 17 2009, 11:48 AM GMT

Bangsian fantasy. Though 'life after death' films is equally apt.

Aren't Bangsian fantasies concerned with life after death in Heaven/Hell/Limbo/etc rather than about going there and coming back?

I've often heard critics use the expression Faustian to describe journeys or recreations of hell.

As Dolly said above, I think Redemption is a better title, as the characters usually return to Earth to sort out their lives or the lives of others.

Just a word of warning, if you look at German films with the word Faust in the title, you will experience a different kind of hell.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 17 2009, 6:49 PM GMT

Just a word of warning, if you look at German films with the word Faust in the title, you will experience a different kind of hell.

Except for 'Downfall' and 'Das Boot', of course.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 17 2009, 6:49 PM GMT

if you look at German films with the word Faust in the title, you will experience a different kind of hell.

Faust man on the Moon?

Quote: Griff @ December 17 2009, 8:04 PM GMT

I'm sure you know this but Faustian refers to stories where someone literally or metaphorically makes a pact with the devil, rather than visiting hell/heaven.

Like Bedazzled.

Quote: chipolata @ December 17 2009, 11:27 AM GMT

Then there's What Dreams May Come, starring Robin Williams, about a man who goes to hell to find his ex wife. Visually stunning, but dull as dishwater.

I think I saw that movie, he ended up being in one of her paintings
It was both boring & compelling at the same time.

My favourite back from Heaven movie is Star Wars.

There used to be this American program on that my mum used to watch all the time. I was only wee though and I can't remember anything that happened, but it was about this guy with long hair who roamed around doing good stuff. He was supposed to be literally an angel, think he was called Johnathon but not sure. What the hell was this or has my mind with its weird ways gone and made it all up? :/

Is it the one with Michael Brandon/Landon the one from Little House on the Prairie.

EDIT

Highway to Heaven
Michael Landon.