Big Top critical and forum reaction Page 5

Quote: Marc P @ December 11 2009, 4:54 PM GMT

Never mind My Family, I have written for Family Affairs so I have absolutely no right to comment on anybody. :)

My mum used to love that. Even after nearly everyone was killed on a boat and they changed the format.

Did you write for that other daytime family soap set in England and Australia, which starred a young Jude Law?

Quote: Griff @ December 11 2009, 4:54 PM GMT

To be fair if you chopped out the bit of this thread where we were rowing with 2ChristianTypists there wouldn't be such an "awful lot of protest". (i.e. we wouldn't look quite so mental)

I like the typists they stir up a great deal of heated debate with their insider professional knowledge. It's like the illuminati I guess. I don't know as I have not read The Lost Symbol.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 11 2009, 4:56 PM GMT

My mum used to love that. Even after nearly everyone was killed on a boat and they changed the format.

Did you write for that other daytime family soap set in England and Australia, which starred a young Jude Law?

No I would have been the same age as him.

It's sometimes difficult to understand what 2Christiantypists is saying because his/her/their voice is muffled by Micheal Jacob's underpants and trousers.

Quote: Marc P @ December 11 2009, 4:58 PM GMT

But he has less hair now. :)

Quote: Marc P @ December 11 2009, 4:58 PM GMT

You mean you're not now? :O

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 11 2009, 5:08 PM GMT

But he has less hair now. :)

How old is he anyway :D

Quote: Marc P @ December 11 2009, 5:19 PM GMT

How old is he anyway :D

Only about 35 I think.

After all popular is always, absolutely the best.

This Winston Smith is still ready to be an iconoclast.
Wasn't the founding principles of the BBC supposed to be about improving and educsting?

And I think niche quality comedy is part of that role.

Besides half the fun with Blue Jam is the thought of some cretinous 2Pints fan. Scratching their sunken brow trying to work out why it's funny.
Like a monkey in a recording studio.

What happened to the good old days when peasants lived in shit ate mangel wurzels and were grateful for the bubonic plague?

Quote: Marc P @ December 11 2009, 4:47 PM GMT

There is an awful lot of protest at one comment that 'some aspiring comedy writers' are a bit snobbish about 2 Pints and My Family. I have seen some evidence of that. :)

I mean it's not exactly in Kev F's league is it?

Gotta disagree with that. This is the quote from the Writersroom:-

'I can never quite understand the snobbishness of aspiring comedy writers, who tend to unite in loathing any show which is popular with audiences.'

It's not 'some' writers being a 'bit' snobbish. The statement appears to accuse all aspiring comedy writers of speaking out of some elitist tendency to damn anything that isn't 'Peep Show'.

I don't believe that's true and I certainly hope Micheal Jacob wasn't using this forum as an example cos it seems to me it's proof of the exact opposite - that comedy in any form from the wildly esoteric to the totally mainstream has near-obsessive fans. It may be that he wasn't intending the effect he had, but then I doubt Kev F was expecting the effect his words had either.

I didn't like 'Big Top' purely because I really hated watching it. I honestly wanted to enjoy it. Like a lot of folk here I loved Miranda and figured something good on in the 7:30 slot when I'm just in from work and can't be arsed to hunt through the TV guide would be ace!

It wasn't to be.

I wouldn't dream of saying that to Daniel Peake if I met him personally though, and if he was a colleague or friend I'd probably defend him like Mr Jacob did. Wouldn't slate people for not liking it though. But on the internet we can all say any old thing and think nothing of it. That goes for people in positions of authority as well as anonymous posters on forums. And you know what? I've a feeling Kev F and Micheal Jacob are considering that right now...

...or maybe not - they're both total c*nts anwyay! And so are all of you!!

;)

What you said was absolutely fine up until:

Quote: Frantically @ December 11 2009, 7:14 PM GMT

...or maybe not - they're both total c*nts anwyay!

If you'd have said "Most TV producers are c!!!s" that would have been fine because the targets weren't specified. But the two people referred to in your post are specified. Michael Jacob is a poster on these forums and like all forum members he has the right to be referred to in non-abusive terms. Please bear this in mind.

The forum rules aside: whether you agree with Michael Jacob or not, his position alone demands a certain respect.
:)

Quote: Frantically @ December 11 2009, 7:14 PM GMT

total c*nts anwyay! And so are all of you!!

;)

I'm a C**t. A big fat hairy CUNT! And, when I get out the bath, I'm WET!

I'm a big fat wet hairy CUNT. Thanks for reminding me.

Quote: Griff @ December 11 2009, 7:40 PM GMT

Ditto for Kev F who is also a poster on the forums.

Yep, I meant to include his name too. :$

Fair do's SlagA. I honestly didn't mean offence - the post up to that point was serious. The last line was tongue-in-cheek, intended to be a bit satirical - sort of 'you need to be careful what you say on the internet...you c*nts!'.

Backfired though. I thought it might.

I'd like to go on record and say I honestly don't think either Micheal or Kev are c*nts. I respect them both.

For that matter I don't think it of anyone else here - except Lime of course.

Err, just though - I'd better say I don't really think it of Lime either.

I'll be stepping away from the keyboard now. Nothing to see here folks.

Sheeesh! What a let down. But at least he got the main part right.

Then backed down again...BALLS MAN, BALLS. :D

Quote: Frantically @ December 11 2009, 7:50 PM GMT

I honestly didn't mean offence. The last line was tongue-in-cheek, intended to be a bit satirical

I guessed that, Frantically. :D

Just we've had trouble in the past with abuse that was misinterpreted or disguised as satire, t'was all. :)