Voiceover: Last refuge of the scoundrel? Page 2

you can say living, what with Ingmar Bergman passing away.

Joe Pesci is simply amazing. I think it was George Carlin who said if he had a problem he'd rather Joe pesci fix it than God or something like that.

Quote: Pilot @ August 8, 2007, 4:56 AM

you can say living, what with Ingmar Bergman passing away.

Joe Pesci is simply amazing. I think it was George Carlin who said if he had a problem he'd rather Joe pesci fix it than God or something like that.

I don't agree with Bergman being better then Scorsese but still one of the greats. If Kubrick, Hitchcock, Lang etc. Alive some of the top in my opinion are Miike Takashi (Audition is a must see horror and if anyone sees the end coming in Dead or Alive is a liar or someone told them it.),Coen Bros (Big Lebowski is in my best comedy films without a doubt.)and Danny Boyle (Trainspotting my favourite british film)etc etc.

Yeah Carlin did that bit bloody hilarious I think I agree that Joe peschi gets things done.

I agree, was just being topical. Will have to check out Takashi's films.

Miike Takashi is very extreme so be aware almost as extreme as cannibal holocaust some of his films are.

IMDB "tagline" for Dead or Alive

WARNING: This motion picture contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.

LMAO - "clowns"

Quote: danield1000 @ August 10, 2007, 11:29 PM

Miike Takashi is very extreme so be aware almost as extreme as cannibal holocaust some of his films are.

Laughing out loud Cannibal Holocaust was hilarious. I love B movies

Yeah thats one of my favourite tag lines ever! Cannibal Holocaust is great exploitation film I love all those video nasties. I allways when I was at school wanted to somehow put cannibal holocaust on the screen at the front of the hall that or ichi the killer.

Can I also add that 'Sin City' boasts some spectacular examples of great VO. The opening sequence and the Willis intro scene are close to perfect.

I think that as comedy writers we can also have fun exploiting the cliches of this form. For example Woody Allen's 'Manhattan' opening is great VO but he also rips it apart for some excellent laughs.

I think there's nothing wrong with using VO as long as it adds something to the story. I really enjoyed Dexter where the main character is a crime scene investigator by day and serial killer by night. It was full of VO as we watch Dexter trying to be "normal" yet at the same time we hear his homicidal thoughts. This added to the character and was also a great device to inject comedy into the story.

Yeah I enjoyed Dexter too if you want to see the film form of it check out American Pyscho.

Woody Allen's are a necessary part of his style.

It's his thoughts rather than reporting what happens.