Comedy Vehicles

Whether you love him, or hate him. Nicholas Lyndhurst exists. He doesn't inhabit our world, but a slightly bizarre 1980s version created by John Sullivan.

He's probably most famous for playing Rodney Trotter, the wally brother of Del-boy from Only Fools and Horses. But I didn't need to tell you that.

Most of his career he's had people laughing at him, or a recording of people laughing at him. Either way, he's a sitcom veteran.

Here is a thread, where we take one sitcom actor, preferably not doing much these days or not at the top and give them another go at being loved again.

Consider all his strengths and all his weaknesses, all the roles he's played and how he's played them. His audience, his fans and haters.

How would you "manage" Nicholas Lyndhurst's career? What would be his next role, and would he stick with the family sitcom or could he exist is a more post-watershed world?

I think he's rather hard to cast in a decent role, but especially simple to cast in an easy role. Dippy student ~ Middle-aged Dad. I'm not saying he didn't play them well, he made Rodney, a character I love. But what's his next move, and will I love it?

:D

Will anyone get this? I don't know... Errr

Are you trying to be Simon Cowell but with sitcom actors?

No, I was hoping it would be a good Geeky way to dissect the sitcom, its characters and actors.

Plus, hopefully it'll be a bit of fun and create pleasant debate*

Yeah, right Rolling eyes

I'd get Brian Murphy out of retirement for a new series of George & Mildred. In it, widower George Roper will have gone insane without Mildred's constant bickering and is a shambling drunk still living in their marital home with its awful 1970s decor unchanged.

We start the series with George, on the verge of cracking-up completely, going and digging up Yootha Joyce's decaying corpse. He props her rotting carcass on their brown leather-effect sofa, whereupon he begins to hallucinate her nagging voice in his head, once again telling him what to do, who to kill etc. All leading to hilarious consequences. Working title: George & Still-Dead.

(Although his parents have now both died in a "mysterious" suicide pact, the creepy little kid who used to live next door is still George & Mildred's neighbour. Now grown-up, he is constantly complaining about G&M making too much noise every time he's trying to f**k a rent boy.)

Laughing out loud

I thought this was going to be about the Reliant Robin.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 31 2009, 6:42 PM BST

I'd get Brian Murphy out of retirement

Has he retired? Huh?

Quote: Robert D @ October 31 2009, 9:20 PM BST

Has he retired? Huh?

He's about 76 so he's retired in my book.

Isn't he in Last of the Summer Wine still?

Quote: Chappers @ October 31 2009, 11:07 PM BST

Isn't he in Last of the Summer Wine still?

That's what I thought. He plays Alvin, part of the trio. Currently filming Series 31. Pleased

I stood behind him once, in the tickcet queue at Lime Street Station, Liverpool, back when he was appearing in Brookside.

Quote: Chappers @ October 31 2009, 7:17 PM BST

I thought this was going to be about the Reliant Robin.

Nah !

I thought it was that car where there's a bang and the bonnet flies up then three clowns try to get it started and the doors fall off, usually comes on just before the hefalumps

:P

Hey ! Look what I found ! The best of both worlds !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MakH-dMV-Y0

I'd cast Nicholas Lyndhurst as Freddie "The Frog" Robdall in a prequel of OFAH.

Seriously though, I'd make a series based on Peter Wright's 'Spycatcher' and cast him as one of the principal [British] characters, probably Peter Wright.