Promo based wisdom required

I am currently writing a ninety second promo for a co-written piece of mine. We have some company (not exactly a production company) who want us to film it and they will then whore it around production companies. I know the ninety second promo is nothing like the adverts you see on TV for shows, I suppose nearest is the film adverts at the cinema however I was wondering if any of you have any good links to promos or if you've written similar things yourselves.
In truth I am just procrastinating but at least this procrastination is sort of linked with what I'm meant to be doing.

A few years ago, a producer I was working with came up with the idea of making short promo's for two radio sit-com's we were working on. And it worked. After listening to the two, three minute tasters, one was commissioned. So, it worked for us, no reason why it couldn't work for you.

I know it's just I'm not used to writing them. I think my biggest problem is that I am trying to shoehorn in all four of the main characters and I think it is just too much in such a short space of time, as well trying to include as many funny bits as possible.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 25 2009, 10:39 PM BST

as well trying to include as many funny bits as possible.

Why go against the face of fashion? :D

I'd personally examine the structure of some teasers of shows you know well and see how well the teaser presents the style and humour, plus if it includes plot dilemmas. I think Phoenix Nights included pre-show trailers on the DVD.

You're really after the essence of the show. What is the crux of the show in a sentence? Then build a promo around that sentence with maybe a cliffhanger to end. That's if I was doing it.
:)

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 25 2009, 10:39 PM BST

I know it's just I'm not used to writing them. I think my biggest problem is that I am trying to shoehorn in all four of the main characters and I think it is just too much in such a short space of time, as well trying to include as many funny bits as possible.

Why not post your ninety second or two minute script up here Ronnie and we'll let you know if it works or not?

The other thing is you don't have to script it from the script as it were - but make something up purely for the promo.

Yes, I was considering putting it up for critique, if my co-writer agrees to it. I just need to actually write the bugger first.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 26 2009, 1:40 PM BST

Yes, I was considering putting it up for critique, if my co-writer agrees to it. I just need to actually bugger the writer first.

:O

Are voice overs crap?

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ September 26 2009, 4:06 PM BST

Are voice overs crap?

Not at all and for this kind of thing would be the best way to go.

I was wondering if some brilliant critiquers out there could take the quickest of looks at my promo first draft. It does need some work but sadly as I'm working against the clock I find it quickens up the process having feedback at an early stage.