Benefits of writing for your favourite sitcom Page 3

Quote: Timbo @ August 10 2009, 12:43 AM BST

The BBC have been fairly explicit in their intention to create a career path for writers, whereby instead of picking up on promising scripts, the scripts are seen as calling cards to identify promising writers, who are then encouraged to cut their teeth working on existing shows, before, in the fullness of time, being let lose on their own projects.

I wouldn't put too much faith in this career path. I have a very strong feeling that ideas such as the BBC Comedy College will be relatively short-lived and produce very few established original comedy writers. The majority of new talented comedy writers who get their shows commissioned will, as before, have mainly swum through the shark-infested waters of freelance writing and be discovered through independent producers.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 10 2009, 1:04 AM BST

I wouldn't put too much faith in this career path. I have a very strong feeling that ideas such as the BBC Comedy College will be relatively short-lived and produce very few established original comedy writers. The majority of new talented comedy writers who get their shows commissioned will, as before, have mainly swum through the shark-infested waters of freelance writing and be discovered through independent producers.

I would agree with that.

Quote: Ben @ August 10 2009, 12:56 AM BST

I think if you're good enough to write an original script, then it should be a piece of urine to then move on to an existing show.

I wouldn't agree with that.

Quote: Timbo @ August 10 2009, 1:20 AM BST

I wouldn't agree with that.

Well, it's purely speculation on my part, but I think having characters and a situation already setup makes things a little easier.

Actually, I've thought of an analogy. No, wait. No. That doesn't work.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 10 2009, 1:04 AM BST

Even if the BBC Comedy College does only "produce very few established comedy writers", surely it's still done its job. I don't think anybody at the CC's inception imagined that all the 'students' would go on to become John Sullivans. Like any college, there are students who will feel overwhelmed or on the wrong path or even drop out altogether, which is fair enough. But if the College only unearths one or two new potentially-great writers, I'm sure the organizers will be happy with that.
Your point about being discovered through indies is true - that's always a good way in - but you're still ultimately up against the channel commissioners. And in the Beeb's case (who at the moment hold all the cards whe it comes to spending on new comedy), I think it'd be deeply-unwise to dismiss initiatives like the College. These schemes can be fantastically helpful and get you lots of work.

Sorry, I don't want to sound like a suckbutt BBC fanboy, but honestly, I truly believe these schemes can really work for new writers.

:)

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 10 2009, 1:34 AM BST

Sorry, I don't want to sound like a suckbutt BBC fanboy, but honestly, I truly believe these schemes can really work for new writers.

How's that BBC North scheme going, Lee?

I forgot about the original thread topic. Basically, what others have said. It's a pointless exercise in terms of showing your work to other people. Nobody's interested in your writing for other shows until you're a "name" yourself.

But as a writing exercise (if you can be arsed), knock yourself out.

Quote: Ben @ August 10 2009, 1:36 AM BST

How's that BBC North scheme going, Lee?

I lost.

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 10 2009, 1:38 AM BST

I lost.

Sorry to hear.

Quote: Ben @ August 10 2009, 1:40 AM BST

Sorry to hear.

Ah just joshing. Dunno really. Sent my last draft off a few days ago. We'll see.

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 10 2009, 1:42 AM BST

Ah just joshing. Dunno really. Sent my last draft off a few days ago. We'll see.

Good to hear!

Quote: Badge @ August 10 2009, 12:55 AM BST

But they want people who prove their worth by writing new ideas, hence this from BBC Writersroom:

"What we don't accept:
Spec scripts for existing shows – we want to see your original work."

Oh yes I agree that would be crashingly pointless to start sending out unsolicited scripts for established hits, particularly shows that are defunct. My point was that writing for an existing show may well turn out to be a valid career opportunity at some point, and working with existing characters within an established style, provides a very different challenge to producing your own work from scratch. So as a technical exercise, I can see the merits. Couldn't be arsed to do it myself of course.

I think certainly, as a technical exercise, it could work for some. Even if its just a way of getting someone thinking about the formatting, or the structure...considering that in this established world with characters you're familiar with and a fan of, probably does relieve the problems of starting out from scratch with something of your making.

There's certainly potential to come up with good lines that you can transplant into something of your own creation, or maybe something bigger like a character or situation you've brought into this already established field.

Re: The College of Comedy.

Don't the BBC have a remit, as public broadcaster, to develop and nurture new talent? This used to be, in recent years, via the annual New Talent scheme, the last one being in 2006 (did I mention I was shortlisted for it;) ) and open to anyone. The Comedy College seems to have replaced it and appears, in selecting writers with already blossoming careers, to be a safer avenue for the BBC.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 10 2009, 10:55 AM BST

Re: The College of Comedy.

Don't the BBC have a remit, as public broadcaster, to develop and nurture new talent? This used to be, in recent years, via the annual New Talent scheme, the last one being in 2006 (did I mention I was shortlisted for it;) ) and open to anyone. The Comedy College seems to have replaced it and appears, in selecting writers with already blossoming careers, to be a safer avenue for the BBC.

And this years College of Comedy did have much more impressive writing CV's than the previous years. It does seem to be the safe route.

(Although not necessarily the route to uncover the most exciting writers)

Quote: Griff @ August 10 2009, 11:09 AM BST

2. At least one of the writers in this year's CoC had only ever sold one sketch. That's hardly picking out someone with an already established career.

I thought there were novelists and people who'd had stageplays produced in this years batch? Although I must admit it did seem to pass with barely any interest from anyone this year.

Although kudos to Joe Underachiever getting in. He sounds like my kind of guy. Cool

Quote: Griff @ August 10 2009, 11:09 AM BST

3. Yes you have f**king mentioned it. There's nothing to be gained going on and on about the old days.

Laughing out loud

Are you jealous or just in a bad mood?

Btw the winner of the New Talent award for comedy the year I was shortlisted (have I mentioned that?) had no credits at all and had only done a bit of stand-up. Her radio show ended up being Sony nominated. The show would never have been made without the scheme.