Just a thought... Please help if you can.

Could a production like say NewsJack which is in it's infancy (ie It isn't particularly established yet) simply tweek a small bit with something you sent them and not give you credit for it ? ( In order to build up their own reputation as good writers....Not an attack on News Jack but all small radio even TV sketch shows ).

Let us face it, we haven't really got a leg to stand on have we ?

I know I'm a cynic but that's what getting to your mid 40's does to you I'm afraid.

A BBC open talent show ripping off writers seems highly unlikely

True Sootyj but it's a dog eat dog world out there mate. A lot of people working in the media would sell their grannies for artistic recognition, be it their work or not.

The House of Commons isn't the only place full of unprincipled Charlatans!!!!

To be honest, I don't think it would work like that - to be in a position to actually do this nicking and tweaking you suggest in the first place, they'd have to have enough of a reputation to not need to do it.

I might be playing Devil's advocate here but our emails are read by many 'minor,unestablished' members of the team before they get to be seen by anyone with ,as you say, a reputation.

What would stop someone reading it, thinking that's a good idea, I'll work on that and submit it myself.

Listen I am not slagging off the whole industry I am just asking people to be aware of all possiblities that's all. Having said that, we haven't got much choice in the matter.

Unlikely. They tweak, but they'd credit. I imagine the sketches are read by the producer and production team, not other writers. It wouldn't be worth their while to rip someone off for one laugh and £30!

It could also get very messy with email proof, etc.

Quote: Norman Wisdom @ June 29 2009, 1:07 PM BST

Could a production like say NewsJack which is in it's infancy (ie It isn't particularly established yet) simply tweek a small bit with something you sent them and not give you credit for it ? ( In order to build up their own reputation as good writers....Not an attack on News Jack but all small radio even TV sketch shows ).

Let us face it, we haven't really got a leg to stand on have we ?

I know I'm a cynic but that's what getting to your mid 40's does to you I'm afraid.

Think I know what you're getting at, theatre too.
I've been tweaked once that I know of, but it's not worth the hassle of trying to prove it. As well as that if it was good enough to be tweaked thenthat's reason enough to carry on writing.

I don't know?

I sent in a one liner last week. I think they padded it out for another 29minutes 50secs and then broadcasted it.

I didn't get any credit, but actually wrote the whole show.

Quote: Norman Wisdom @ June 29 2009, 1:24 PM BST

I might be playing Devil's advocate here but our emails are read by many 'minor,unestablished' members of the team before they get to be seen by anyone with ,as you say, a reputation.

What would stop someone reading it, thinking that's a good idea, I'll work on that and submit it myself.

Listen I am not slagging off the whole industry I am just asking people to be aware of all possiblities that's all. Having said that, we haven't got much choice in the matter.

Well, I'm not convinced that 'minor, unestablished' is the quote you imply, but I think you're focusing on the wrong bit. Look at 'of the team'. As I said above, no one gets 'on the team' without having proven themselves somehow, and they wouldn't need to nick and tweak. Remember 'minor and unestablished' member of a BBC sketch show writing team isn't the same as 'minor and unestablished writer'.

What would stop them reading and deciding to work on it themselves... well, they really gain nothing from it. They'll be paid the same. They'll save the BBC some money, but I'm not sure they'd care that much about that. So what would stop them is the sheer pointlessness of the act, and the general risk to their career if they were found out.

Bear in mind, I've written sketches that were almost top to tail rewritten by the script editors of the show (the sort of people who'll be reading these subs) to the degree that maybe two or three of my original lines have got through. Yet no extra credit was taken by them, and the script was credited to me. The people who are reading these things don't need that.

Quote: Norman Wisdom @ June 29 2009, 1:24 PM BST

I've only submitted one part of one of my sitcoms because I didn't want to give too much away. And by the same token I don't read anything on the critique section any more in case I sub-consciously rip-off someone else.

The best thing is to not worry.

Just get your material and your name out there, give it away if you have to and don't worry about it or feel possessive about it.

Once people get to know you, and once you develop a reputation for good material and consistency, you'll get some clout and some money and people won't rip you off.

Years ago on The Friday Night Armistice I faxed over [yes faxed] a sketch about the Millennium Dome. I watched with delight as the sketch was played out with some minor tweaks. But great minds think alike. I didn't hear anything back, no credit and no pay.

If I had bitched about it, I would have developed a reputation for being a cock.

This is a standard worry amongst new writers. I myself have a bee in my bonnet about repeating material other people have written, which is kind of like your query but in reverse.

Quote: Shakeshaft @ June 29 2009, 7:04 PM BST

great minds think alike.

Of course, I notice that the OP mentions later on that he's just pointing out what may happen, which sort of sums up the problem.

Because, as Shakeshaft says, this is a standard worry of new writers. There was a recent thread entitled simply 'Plagiarism' recently. But an awful lot of time when you may think something's been nicked, it's actually just a simple concept that anyone else could make.

So whilst the OP thinks this is a new thought that no-one before has considered, it is in reality the Nth variation on this theme we've had.

Quote: Griff @ June 29 2009, 7:49 PM BST

I approve of Shakeshaft's avatar. Frank Sidebottom rules.

You know he does. He really does.

I have decided not to send my stuff anywhere.

In fact I am not even gonna write it down in case some bastard breaks into my house and nicks it.

My stuff will remain forever in my head, safest place nowadays I think.