I'm here now!?!

Hello out there!

I feel a little marginalised as I've really joind up because I've got to teach Sitcoms next year for Media Studies and I'm hoping to get some funky ideas for my students - I'm not a budding writer but please forgive me for that!

I'm a fan of different types of comedy, most of which has had a shout out already but I have a soft spot for The Good Life and spent some years wanting to be Barbera Good - but I'm alright now!

Supavillain

Ah, I'd love to teach a course in sitcom. Brilliant. :)

First thing to remember - which one lecturer at my girlfriend's university forgot - is to not claim that sketch shows are sitcoms!

>_<

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a lot of ideas from us lot. We're true comedy geeks around here! :)

Hey Supavillian :D Wow, that would be cool teaching Sitcoms. Wish I had a module like that at uni!

This is only at GCSE level so I'm hoping to expose the little darlings to some classic 70s and 80s sitcoms - and maybe wean them off Little Britain for a while!

I've got a tape of the BBC tribute to Sitcoms which was repeated recently but would be grateful for any advice on anything that I could use, either moving image or print.

I'm hoping you guys are geeky enough to help out!

Supavillain, it's hard to recommend without knowing a bit more about the kids' backgrounds, what exactly the syllabus is intended to cover, and how much of any sitcom(s) you would actually have time to show.

Just as a basic starter though, you'd be VERY surprised as to how many people have never heard of - or just not seen - Blackadder and Fawlty Towers. Perhaps the last episode of Goes Forth to illustrate the sensitive, serious side of comedy and the issues with which shows deal.
I'd definitely want to show some Yes Minister too. Try and get them into politics whilst there's still a chance. Not sure which episode would be best offhand... I'll have to think about it.

Interesting ideas and certainly worth thinking about.

The Sitcom unit is for their exam so there is not a syllabus as yet. The exam board will give some guidance in November next year but I'm just trying to get ahead of the game so that I can come up with some stimulating activities and ideas.

There are 2 written questions which usually focus on the historicval side of the topic so I'm looking to do a potted history of Sitcom there. The other questions are practical and will probably involve a simulated TV production company asking for ideas for a new Sitcom and then getting the students to storyboard and script their ideas. They are given the paper in advance and we usually spend at least 6 weeks preparing them. We can also look at American Sitcoms for comparison but there is not likely to be too much emphasis placed on them, although the students do have a good working knowledge of some of them.

Aha, ok. Well, if the emphasis is expected to be on the historical for that written section, I'd say you definitely need to cover Hancock and Steptoe (although, unfortunately, the kids probably won't be interested in those :() from the start. It'll be very important to emphasise the radio-roots of Hancock, and its immense success in both mediums. (Perhaps mention that Little Britain started in radio, just to get their attention.)

I'd go through the changes in sitcom styles from the 60s (as mentioned) into the 70s with some Bless This House, Terry and June, that kind of thing. (And if you can get your hands on some, a bit of Up Pompeii! can't go amiss.) Also a bit of Are You Being Served? to balance up the family-clean (BTH, T&J) with the family-suggestive. Then just to throw a bit of contrast into the mix, Fawlty Towers. It's so influential, that if you can't cover it, you may as well quit now.

Moving into the 80s, as I mentioned earlier, Blackadder and Yes Minister can't be missed. 'Allo 'Allo! has to be covered too. Only Fools and Horses goes without saying I think. It'd also be very useful to look at The Young Ones and how today's "alternative" comedy really started within sitcom here (as opposed to the mainstream content which had been the only form available before). I'm sure you can also think of another few shows from that era.

In the 90s, Drop the Dead Donkey and the growth of satire (which, I think, really truly began within sitcom with Yes Minister) really needs to be covered. Also along the same lines, The Day Today and Brass Eye are definitely worth a mention.
Other noteworthy shows are Mr. Bean (as it has been immensely successful globally), 2Point4 Children, Birds of a Feather, Father Ted, continuous popularity of Only Fools and Horses, Gimme Gimme Gimme, and The Thin Blue Line. (Some of those are a bit similar though, so probably just mention briefly rather than go into immense detail.)

Coming into this decade, I suppose The Office needs a mention, if only to note the change from actually funny line and situations to just embarassment. Green Wing also really needs to be covered I think, as it shows the beginning of sitcom's next evolutionary stage - the sketch humour, strung together with a common sitcom-esque narrative, and presented as if a drama.

Should probably also go over the growing problems within the industry; lack of new shows, lack of success, and the resurrection of the "studio-based" sitcom once again.

...Phew. Marathon post. That's my thoughts for now. A lot there, although I doubt that it would take anywhere near as long to cover as it may sound.

(I've also gathered up quite a collection of sitcom-related documentaries, so let me know if you're interested in any of those.)

Quote: Aaron @ August 24, 2006, 12:26 AM

Coming into this decade, I suppose The Office needs a mention, if only to note the change from actually funny line and situations to just embarassment.

lol, not a fan then? Don't blame you if your not, I really don't like that show.

And did Little Britain really start in Radio? Though that's another show I don't like, but I always feel as if I should
Rolling eyes

No, not a fan of The Office at all. It has some vaguely amusing moments, but it's extremely overrated.

And yes, Little Britain started in radio, back in 2002 I think.

ITV, namely Thames produced a wealth of sit-com during the seventies, eighties and well into the ninties until it lost it's franchise. Robin's nest, a follow on to Man about the house, Mixed Blessings, Cowboys, Fresh Fields, Father dear Father.
I think man about the house must have spawned the greatest amount of spin off programmes ever.
From that show came Robin's Nest and George and Mildred. And from G&M came cowboys. Can anyone think of anymore??

Cowboys? Not heard of that one before!

I think that that was it from Man About The House, although US versions of all 3 were created, so I suppose one could say it spawned 5 children.

Cowboys starred Roy kinnear as a cowboy builder. The character was first seen in the pub with George from George and Mildred. There were other characters but I can't remember who played them..

Hmm, interesting! I'll have to see if I can hunt that down anywhere. I do like George & Mildred more than I probably should, so it will be interesting to see it.