Opinions Please! Page 2

Quote: oldcowgrazing @ May 19 2009, 1:00 AM BST

To be fair, don, Family Guy is an equal opportunities offender, and it's up there in terms of quality comedy. I dunno, maybe it works better in animation.

That and South Park are what got me thinking about it. I am also thinking about animation to. Would it work better?

Quote: hey_nonny @ May 18 2009, 11:46 AM BST

May even have to go and hide with Slaman Rushdie.

Are his books any more interesting than Salman Rushdie's?

Quote: chipolata @ May 19 2009, 9:54 AM BST

Are his books any more interesting than Salman Rushdies?

Or even Salman Rushdie's? ;)

Quote: Chappers @ May 18 2009, 3:48 PM BST

Shows how tolerant a religin it is.

Now that's uncalled for.

Quote: Chappers @ May 18 2009, 3:48 PM BST

How is that offensive? Apart from the fact us tax payers had to pay to protect him.

Shows how tolerant a religin it is.

I can see this turning into one of those hot blooded debates, what I will say is that this is a writers forum so there's no need to bring religion into it and as far as rushdie goes I don't like him anymore than the rest do but it was what he did which caused the uproar but it's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinion so let's let that be the end of it.

Quote: hey_nonny @ May 18 2009, 1:05 PM BST

My apologies Zuhaib if you were offended by the Rushdie comment.

Hey no hard feelings :)

If a simple reference to Salman Rushdie deserves an apology, then I don't think there's much hope for Darren's idea of four characters spouting sexism and racism.

I think offence was taken because the reference was taken to imply that all Muslims are intolerant fundamentalists issuing fatwas all day. But I might be wrong... :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 19 2009, 9:56 AM BST

Or even Salman Rushdie's? ;)

I don't know what you mean. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 19 2009, 12:11 PM BST

I think offence was taken because the reference was taken to imply that all Muslims are intolerant fundamentalists issuing fatwas all day. But I might be wrong... :)

My wife is a theological graduate and she actually studied some of the Satanic Verses stuff. It seems fair to say that without knowing a lot about Islam, we can't really judge how offensive Rushdie's book was. From what the missus has said about it though, it does sound like he actually went out of his way to be very offensive to Muslims.

Presumably we can all see why so many Christians (particularly the right-wing American lot) were offended by certain bits of Jerry Springer: The Opera? We might not agree with death threats being sent to Stewart Lee because of it but you can see why even moderate Christians might find some of it offensive? It sounds like the Satanic Verses was worse and more offensive than that.

Quote: Afinkawan @ May 19 2009, 12:40 PM BST

Presumably we can all see why so many Christians (particularly the right-wing American lot) were offended by certain bits of Jerry Springer: The Opera? We might not agree with death threats being sent to Stewart Lee because of it but you can see why even moderate Christians might find some of it offensive? It sounds like the Satanic Verses was worse and more offensive than that.

The difference between Muslims and Christians is that when Christians get offended they don't kill anyone. Muslims do. Or at least the extremist ones.

Why not set it in an English night class?
Make them all foreign students.
Bit of jaunty title music..hang on,shit,..it's been done.

Quote: Chappers @ May 19 2009, 12:02 AM BST

Not ridiculous. Just over sensitive. Have you never had the piss taken out of you?

Chappers, I don't believe that making a racist or nationalist comment towards, say, a West Indian guy, is justifiable or defendable simply by making an equally horrid nationalist comment towards someone from, say, a white background. Two wrongs don't make a right.

But then maybe you come from a generation that believes mocking skin colour, cultural differences etc, is nothing more than a little bit of lighthearted banter? And that, perhaps, people shouldn't take it so seriously?

Does anyone else keep reading this thread as "Onions Please!"?

Quote: David Bussell @ May 19 2009, 3:53 PM BST

Yeah, it's an idea for four onions, a red onion, a Spanish Onion, a shallot and a pickled onion, to call each other names on a stage until the audience cries or something...

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 19 2009, 3:57 PM BST

Yeah, it's an idea for four onions, a red onion, a Spanish Onion, a shallot and a pickled onion, to call each other names on a stage until the audience cries or something...

Eddie Izzard's already done that in his even-more shortlived follow-up to the shortlived Cows.

Quote: David Bussell @ May 19 2009, 3:53 PM BST

YES! So, it's not just me. I always said Bussell knows his onions.