CG

They use it in the other arts; Computer assistance. Type in a bunch of data and you get animated dinosaurs, or programme your synths to get half an hour of music. Could it be done in writing? Could you, say, input a few details about characters and location, and have a computer write some of it?

Quote: NoggetFred @ April 30 2009, 10:13 AM BST

They use it in the other arts; Computer assistance. Type in a bunch of data and you get animated dinosaurs, or programme your synths to get half an hour of music. Could it be done in writing? Could you, say, input a few details about characters and location, and have a computer write some of it?

No. CGI is merely a tool. You can't feed in a bit of data and tell a computer to create a dinosaur. A wireframe model has to be fashioned by an artist - just as if he were doing it in real life, around which muscles and skin must be drawn. The the artist creates movement by studying how similar large animals - (elephants etc) move, in exactly the same way that traditional Disney-style artists do. (Or they use motion capture which approximates movement, but the artist still has to make it look good)

Similarly with music - I work with computers when composing, but the computer can't "make" the music for me because it has no capacity for creativity. I still have to physically play the keyboard or arrange the music to input the data the computer understands. It's a widely-held notion that modern musicians just have to press a button and the computer does all the work. It's not true.

Computers certainly don't have the capacity for creative writing - and I don't believe they ever will.

What did he say? Teary

http://www.sheckymagazine.com/2006/08/joke-writing-software-sorta.html

Behold it exists to help kids with communication problems!

As I have those I may order one.

And aparently it uses the same system as Hawkings communication box.
So watch out for a Brief history of fun!

On the basis of the attached article scientists have almost cracked it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5023227/All-jokes-fit-into-eight-categories-says-scientist.html

Hmm... Having seen a few of the latest batch of TV sketch shows I could well believe somebody has worked out an incredibly advanced sketch writing computer program, possibly using a ZX81 or a Vic20.

Type in around 12 half-arsed character ideas, some demographically-recognisable situations, and a few catchphrases then press enter. Presto! It's episode one of (insert name of your least liked recent sketch show here).

And thanks to the wonders of technology and diminished expectations, it's also episodes 2-6!

Quote: sootyj @ April 30 2009, 11:00 AM BST

Excellent. A shame there wasn't an example for us to read, though.

Quote: NoggetFred @ April 30 2009, 10:13 AM BST

Computer assistance. Could you, say, input detail about character and location, and have a computer write it?

Hollywood's been doing it for years, haven't they? Surely no human interaction was involved in some of its recent output.

Quote: James Harris @ April 30 2009, 11:04 AM BST

Hmm... Having seen a few of the latest batch of TV sketch shows I could well believe somebody has worked out an incredibly advanced sketch writing computer program, possibly using a ZX81 or a Vic20.

Type in around 12 half-arsed character ideas, some demographically-recognisable situations, and a few catchphrases then press enter. Presto! It's episode one of (insert name of your least liked recent sketch show here).

And thanks to the wonders of technology and diminished expectations, it's also episodes 2-6!

:D :D :D

Quote: sootyj @ April 30 2009, 11:00 AM BST

I heard an item on the BBC news this morning about a device which children have with them throughout the day, monitoring them, and in the evening it somehow converts their experiences into spoken stories.

In Orwell's '1984' there was a novel-writing machine... Be careful what you wish for.