Big Fella's Book - and getting an agent. Page 3

Quote: bigfella @ March 25 2009, 6:22 PM GMT

But its hard not to get a bit excited, isn't it!

Too true... and why not :)

Nice one mate.

Quote: bigfella @ March 25 2009, 6:22 PM GMT

. . . The great news is that two agents have been in contact already, one emailed and one phoned. . . . But its hard not to get a bit excited, isn't it!

Bloody hell bigfella! One phoned back? PHONED BACK?!? On day two? Of all the unsolicited submissions and requests they receive and yet one takes time out to phone back? Holey Moley! I think you're gonna pull this off. Exciting? Yes, but don't go out celebrating just yet, you'll be too tempted to celebrate with a pizza or something.

Just stumbled across this as have had to 'work' for the last few weeks and have not been around much.

Advice on getting published seems sound and I would certainly milk the documentary aspect.

Really wanted to say good luck with the weight loss. I was just over 16 stone and the GP discovered my BP was high and I was borderline diabetic. That was last November and I finally decided to loose weight rather than go on BP drugs for the rest of my life. It's not easy but making the decision to take it seriously and do something about it seems the hardest part so far. That and giving up food and alcohol.

Bigfella, there's a certain appeal about your plight, hence your documentary appearance. Whether it's morbid curiosity, empathy or genuine supporting interest, I don't know.
The book is a must-do thing. As already mentioned, the writing can be laced with comedy to create your USP.
The very best of luck with both your physical and literary ambitions.

Thanks for the recent comments guys.

Just thought I would give an update as it has been a very exciting week in the bigfella household - and not just because I met Sootyj!!

Firstly a report on the weight loss - I can't actually weigh myself untill I go back for check up in four weeks ( they have a set of scales like a weigh bridge) but I went through my wardrobe last night and now fit into clothes that I haven't got into for well over a year. And I'm not far of getting into the next size down!!! So this is pleasing.

Now the writing.

I did around about 60 letters and emails the other day to agents.

And so far I've had 6 agents contact me who have some interest. One of these has actually offered to represent me. I could have fallen off my chair, but I might have damaged the floor. ( Fat humour - it's okay when I do it! )

I have to thank MarcP for his advice on the agent thing. I'm holding fire for a little while to see if any of the others make a formal offer. BTW -Marc - I did email the gentleman you suggested, I haven't heard anything.

So now I'm faced with having to think about writing something. This might be where the problems start!!

Nice one bigfella :)

Surely writing from your own personal experience will be easy... you've nothing to make up.

Quote: bigfella @ March 27 2009, 6:34 PM GMT

Thanks for the recent comments guys.

Just thought I would give an update as it has been a very exciting week in the bigfella household - and not just because I met Sootyj!!

Firstly a report on the weight loss - I can't actually weigh myself untill I go back for check up in four weeks ( they have a set of scales like a weigh bridge) but I went through my wardrobe last night and now fit into clothes that I haven't got into for well over a year. And I'm not far of getting into the next size down!!! So this is pleasing.

Now the writing.

I did around about 60 letters and emails the other day to agents.

And so far I've had 6 agents contact me who have some interest. One of these has actually offered to represent me. I could have fallen off my chair, but I might have damaged the floor. ( Fat humour - it's okay when I do it! )

I have to thank MarcP for his advice on the agent thing. I'm holding fire for a little while to see if any of the others make a formal offer. BTW -Marc - I did email the gentleman you suggested, I haven't heard anything.

So now I'm faced with having to think about writing something. This might be where the problems start!!

Great news bigfella! Apart from meeting SootyJ, of course! And having to write something!

Hope you keep this momentum going. All sounding very good so far.

Monday update.

Things are progressing with quite a pace.

I now have two meetings set up with agents in London + the earlier offer of representation. These two meetings seem to be with more established names and they are members of the agents association which the other guy wasn't.

All very exciting!!!

Oooooh!
Kick the first guy to the curb! etc.
Something like that...

Quote: zooo @ March 30 2009, 7:19 PM BST

Oooooh!
Kick the first guy to the curb! etc.
Something like that...

Kicked. But nicely! Whistling nnocently

All very interesting and exciting. Well done and good luck! :D

Quote: bigfella @ March 30 2009, 7:18 PM BST

Monday update.

Things are progressing with quite a pace.

I now have two meetings set up with agents in London + the earlier offer of representation. These two meetings seem to be with more established names and they are members of the agents association which the other guy wasn't.

All very exciting!!!

Great news :)

Great news indeed - it's all lookin' gooooooood!

You do realise that when all this comes to fruition, it presents you with one major, major, problem don't you?

- Your online handle, your ID name!

Fatboy Slim has gone, (but has it gone on here?) So you'll have to choose, ooh dunno . . . SkinnyTallFella? Whatever, you can't be Bigfella afterwards. Bigfella has to be backspaced and deleted out, once the metamorphosis is complete.

Hi folks thanks for all the positive comments.

I'm currently working on the book, bugger work, this is far more important.

But I'm a bit worried it might be boring. My agent tells me that I need to show and not tell and gave me a nice example from a work of fiction that I could understand but obviously working in the first person this is far harder to get this across.

Anyone got any advice on this? Clearly I want it to be interesting and not just and then I did this and then I did that and then I scoffed another pizza and was fatter!

- PS Yes you did read the earlier section correct, I've now got an agent for this!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

But any advice on the show don't tell would be helpful!thanks

Are there any journalists or columninsts whose work you like? I imagine approaching telling your story in that style would work. Maybe use witty anecdotes, inciting events. Try not to be just chronological and linear in your approach to re-telling I suppose and try and be humourous as possible. When I was pregnant I realised I was huge when I caught my reflection in a shop window; in a tight pink t-shirt I looked just like Mr Greedy and I ate like him too.

In fact I looked like I had ate him. :)