Nathan Barley

who didnt like this? i loved it but i know alot of people hated it and it recevied pretty bad reviews but why? its amazing

I enjoyed it and loved the attention to detail and the acting, but didn't think it was all that funny.

If you compare how he is in the series to how the character's portrayed in the original TVgohome column, they've turned him from a monster to an idiotic dandy with his heart in the right place. It's quite surprising that Chris Morris went down that road.

I think its rep will definitely grow as time goes by. Lots of people said they dug it much more on repeated viewings.

Quote: ablurga @ November 22, 2006, 2:53 PM

I enjoyed it and loved the attention to detail and the acting, but didn't think it was all that funny.

If you compare how he is in the series to how the character's portrayed in the original TVgohome column, they've turned him from a monster to an idiotic dandy with his heart in the right place. It's quite surprising that Chris Morris went down that road.

I think its rep will definitely grow as time goes by. Lots of people said they dug it much more on repeated viewings.

i thought it was really funny some of the lines are classic 'they babble into handleheld twit machine' and the johnathan yeah? charachter is amazing so is the commissioning editor ivan plapp (i think) there horrible people but funny to laugh at,

i dont think nathan had his heart in the right place hes still a monster like in the tvgohome but in maybe in a less obvious or vicious way, i was dissapointed it was so badly received i dont think a second series would have come or should have come but charlie brooker deserves to make something else (excluding screenwipe which is also funny).

Well, to be fair I haven't watched it in a long time so I may find it funnier on a third viewing. I can imagine it's the kind of show where new layers open up with every repeat.

I think it was a casualty of high expectations. The original column was much feted and anything with Morris involvement is going to come under close scrutiny so nothing short of a milestone would've pleased the critics.

It wasn't funny at all. It ried too hard to be clever - forgot to be funny (like a lot of Extras).

Nathan Barley was funny. I never caught it first time round (apart from the straight on straight episode), but I did catch a lot of negative press. A friend purchased the DVD not long ago, and I thought it was excellent. Julian Barrett's acting, as ever, is faultless. Nathan Barley is hilarious (never saw anything of TVgohome) When he's on the bus and he's just been sucked off by that girl,"Guess how old she was, lower, lower,lower, it was virtually a Polanski" And then they all give him high 5's. Great.

Totally mexico man!

I loved Nathan Barley, thought it was extremely funny, smart and very different to other sit-coms out there. 'Heres one for the ladies . . .I WANT ICE CREAM!!!'

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ November 22, 2006, 6:03 PM

it was virtually a Polanski"

hes on a bus and he says 'technically a polanski'

and yes i am a nerd

Even now, I'm still not sure how I felt about it. I didn't find it outstandingly funny, but still watched the whole series and would probably give it a second viewing. Not one I would buy the DVD of though.

Certainly wasn't as awful as many made out, but it did leave me feeling strangely uncomfortable afterwards.

I used to work in a coffee shop in Soho when the series went out, and I loved the attention to detail and the characters 'cos they were exactly like the mindlessly fashionable cretins who came into the shop everyday. I know it's set in North London but it's a similar ilk of media idiot you get loping around Soho a lot of the time. I agree that there weren't many 'belly laughs' but I still enjoyed it a lot.

I have to admit I wasn't keen until I saw Julian Barratt of Mighty Boosh Fame accidentally drop a pair of scissors in a cat's head.... not very pleasant but horribly funny....

i watched naten barley first time round and thought it was extremly funny. very original any i also loved the fact that the preacher man never had it easy although he was supposed to be some kind of good guy he always got the shitty end of the stick making it all the more entertainig like the episode in which he has to write an aritcal about family men im pubs gettin each other off in the toilets the best part was when dan (I think that was the characters name) picks up this guy in a family pub and the next time you see him hes tossin him off wearin some welding gloves i laughed my head off

It is a great series people should give it a chance

Quote: Emfolky @ November 23, 2006, 5:55 PM

I have to admit I wasn't keen until I saw Julian Barratt of Mighty Boosh Fame accidentally drop a pair of scissors in a cat's head.... not very pleasant but horribly funny....

That bit was the highlight for me Pleased

It was brilliant! Anyone who disagree's is a charlatan and a cad.

good day sir,

Myself and a friend loved it, his friend falling from the window, slapstick genius. More please more !!