CGI-brows

This is a great idea with a great joke at its heart - but does anyone else think it goes on WAY too long? For me it should've been a minute long, no more.

But still, great idea. http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/75230a5237/cgi-brows

Yes, God, goes on far too long! A funny premise though.

Reminds of those awful women/girls who shave their eyebrows and then draw them on or get them tattooed on. On what planet does that look good? They always draw them in the most hideously contorted scowls... really a shame.

I met these guys a while back. A great bunch. I even got a little preview of this sketch on one of their iPhones.

Ultimately, I have to agree with the crit on here though. The trouble, I think, is that when you've gone to the trouble of scoring a top location, getting a big crew together and shooting on 16mm, it's a tough thing to reduce all that hard work - all that effort - into a 1 min short.

Still, what matters is that the premise of funny. This cut is a great demo of the group's performance/directing skills I think. What it doesn't show so well is their skill as writers. A few brutal chops in the edit suite will change all that though. If I were them I'd keep the existing cut for showreel (a thing to show their investors, crew etc) but concentrate on making a leaner cut that goes harder for the comedy jugular.

Just had a look, and I have to say I loved it. Yes, it could be made tighter, but I liked the fact it was quite long; and it was so slick and funny. I've met them too and they were lovely blokes. Makes you want to puke acid on them, doesn't it?

Shit that was f**king good! Anyone know anything else about these guys?

Quote: bigfella @ January 26 2009, 6:47 PM GMT

Shit that was f**king good! Anyone know anything else about these guys?

Check out some of their other vids, all very polished and funny. Shit knows how they make them look so glossy! They've done it all off their own back as well, so it shows what you can do if you put the effort in.

Really polished, with outstanding performances, a strong central idea and enough good, original jokes to fill an excellent two minute mockumentary. Shame it's 5 minutes long, really.

As a showcase of technical ability it works really well. I agree with Bussell that this blunts the impact of the writing. This is why I'll have no truck with technical competence on my stuff.

I love the production values, performances and that music (an amazing track!), but yes, I feel it's a tad too long. These guys have a very macabre sense of humour. Can't wait to see more of their stuff.

I uploaded my longest clip EVER recently on a number of websites. It's a short film so it's a bit different to a sketch (see below)

http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/72256de0da/mutated-killer-death-beasts

Dailymotion quite liked it, which was nice.

This must be the Heaven's Gate of throwaway ideas that made it into a tedious one joke movies.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 6 2009, 6:35 PM GMT

This must be the Heaven's Gate of throwaway ideas that made it into a tedious one joke movies.

Not sure this makes much sense, but I get the message!

I was going to insert a smiley face here, but I'm still not comfortable using those little bastards.

This is what I should have written. It looked less comprehensible.

This must be the Heaven's Gate of throwaway-ideas-that-made-it-into-a-tedious-one-joke-movies.

Hi Guys,

Great to see everyone taking such an interest in our stuff - the feedback is hugely useful from people whose opinions we have muchos respect for.

To be honest, we've not been happy with the length of CGI-Brows either.

So to that end we've put together a much leaner edit - now only 3 mins long.

We'd love to hear any thoughts and/or criticisms!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=53367679

Cheers

Rocketsausage

PS. Greensville - we like 'Killer Death Beasts'. Where did you shoot it?

Much prefer that edit. The timing of Nigel's eyebrow raise, the first real audible laugh for me, now comes at just the right moment. I love how the silliness is incongruous to the general sentiment of the sketch. That's why it works, I think. The further apart those two conflicting 'emotions', the funnier, potentially ! Am almost tempted to write an equation. Almost. Anyway well done - your video bag is scattered with little gems.

This is a huge improvement, guys. Much better for the changes.

That said, I'd still like to see a 1 min viral version of this where the rising eyebrow laugh Nick talks about becomes the final punch. I reckon you'll get more people watching it.