Joke Formulas - Number Four - The Rule Of Three

Before any humour begins, it's interesting to compare this 'rule of 3' with the rule of 3 in art, in which you mentally split the picture into 3, and arrange the main compositional elements around that. So what is it about the number 3 that is so special?

The wife says I have to go to her mums with her, go to the shops, but when she takes a dump she wants to be alone.

Women can't live with them, can't live with out them, can't rent them with out the police getting interested.

The Titanic, a Trident submarine and the Imperial Japanese navy have all gone done with less sailors than you.

Coffee tea and we are not acceptable drinks options in nice cafes.

Quote: NoggetFred @ January 30 2009, 10:16 AM GMT

Before any humour begins, it's interesting to compare this 'rule of 3' with the rule of 3 in art, in which you mentally split the picture into 3, and arrange the main compositional elements around that. So what is it about the number 3 that is so special?

It comes from Cicero's teaching on oratory, a tradition in our arts/culture that over milenia has become ingrained. It's why the rule of 3 doesn't really work in China who developed parallel to our civilisation.

I believe it's a bit more prosaic than you think, NoggetFred. Three elements are the fewest you can use in a joke to set up a pattern and then pull a switch, and shorter is sweeter in one liners.

I love Paris in the Spring, Florence in the Autumn, and Tracy in the back room of the chippy.

Quote: sootyj @ January 30 2009, 10:19 AM GMT

It comes from Cicero's teaching on oratory, a tradition in our arts/culture that over milenia has become ingrained. It's why the rule of 3 doesn't really work in China who developed parallel to our civilisation

So they don't 'do' that sort of gag in China?

I could picture you in Stalinist Russia with a little cap running a gulag for unmutual comedy writers.

I jest it was originally going to be the first 2 and the you as the 3rd.

Quote: sootyj @ January 30 2009, 10:19 AM GMT

The Titanic, a Trident submarine and you have all gone down with 500 sailors on board

A lion a witch and Micheal Jackson are all unusual things to find in a closet.

Arsenal... Man United... Danielle Lloyd was in for a good night.

The recession has started to get ugly. Violence in France, picket lines in Britain and Madonna has announced new tour dates.

Obama is going to be very busy. The Middle East, worldwide recession and Superbowl on Sunday.

Balls, VAT and knickers no one gets exited when Alistair Darling drops them.

Immigrants, gays and prejudice the Daily Mail hates all 3.

Is it worth noting the pretty common use of the rule of three where someone says the first two and another character chimes in with the third joke item?

I'm struggling to think of an example but I know it gets done quite a lot.

My wife says I am as strong as an ox and hung like a donkey but she's as blind as a bat.

My wife is an animal in the bedroom, a wizard in the kitchen and pregnant to my best friend.

Does this Old Classic from Not the Nine O'Clock News Count?

God created the earth in six days; on the seventh day he rested; and on the Monday morning he got up with a hangover and created Janet Street bloody Porter.

Dogger,Rockall, another Guns and Roses tour.

We need something to hold all that alcohol! - A barrel, a tankard,......Amy Winehouse.