Some "What The BBC Probably Wants" Stuff Page 2

I don't understand how a sitcom can cost £250,000 per half an hour. What does this take into account? Just wages, set and film?

I'm amazed it costs as little as that, when you take wages into account.

Someone told me recently that a good third of that budget can go on the set.

But yeah, wages. Huge number of people involved.

Mulitple takes, crew, cocaine, editing filmings expensive.
Maybe this is the age of the guerilla sitcom? Any one want to help me film one ala Be Kind Rewind or Bowfinger?
We could all get sent to prison and remake Porridge on camera phones?
Guest starring Boy George.

Darryl - if you look at the credits of a show you'll see the names of most of the people involved as production staff. You then need to add in the costs of studio hire and studio crew. Then the cast. And then the writer. You also need to factor in the cost of hiring a rehearsal room, insurance, and transport. Then there's the cost of the main set and possibly guest sets, set dressing and costume hire or purchase. Then there's post-production (editing, grading and dubbing). And the cost of filming location inserts. So that's where the money goes.

Charlie Brooker did an excellent deconstruction of the costs of making TV in the first episode of the first series of Screenwipe. His program costs £45k per episode, if memory serves.

It's probably up on YouTube.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ February 5 2009, 11:21 AM GMT

Darryl - if you look at the credits of a show you'll see the names of most of the people involved as production staff. You then need to add in the costs of studio hire and studio crew. Then the cast. And then the writer. You also need to factor in the cost of hiring a rehearsal room, insurance, and transport. Then there's the cost of the main set and possibly guest sets, set dressing and costume hire or purchase. Then there's post-production (editing, grading and dubbing). And the cost of filming location inserts. So that's where the money goes.

I can now see why the BBC jumped at the chance to make The Office pilot at a 90k cost to them. The money that Gervais and Merchant must have received for writing Extras 1, 2 and Special must have been just crazy.

I can understand the money being a major issue when executives look at whether to put a script into production, but when I see some stuff that gets made, I am just so surprised sometimes. Its as if BBC money is burning a hole in executives pockets.

It's not all about money. It's about making the most of what comedy money there is, and balancing expensive shows with cheaper shows. I can't think of anything being commissioned on the grounds of cost.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ February 5 2009, 11:21 AM GMT

Interesting, cheers for the response. The idea I was thinking of involves mostly being in a small flat and various other minor locations as appropriate. I just can't believe it could cost that much - though I suppose the higher band is for the most successful sitcoms and then wages etc would increase.

I was always advised to write stuff that could be filmed inside a studio or just in an interior location as it was cheaper. How much more expensive is filming in an exterior location?

Why not read the blog, which deals with some of these issues, and we can chat over there (if the sainted proprietors of BSG don't object)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/2009/01/cheap_and_chirpy.shtml

Ah, didnt know a blog existed, many thanks.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ February 5 2009, 12:53 PM GMT

Why not read the blog, which deals with some of these issues, and we can chat over there (if the sainted proprietors of BSG don't object)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/2009/01/cheap_and_chirpy.shtml

Enough promotion!

:D

The book is in the post.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 5 2009, 1:04 AM GMT

I've done a reasonably lengthy write-up on my blog at

http://texturbation.com/blog/?p=996

Very well put together Kevin - and as mentioned, very professional.
Liked your sketch ARE WE THERE YET? If not done previously, have you posted it on the critique thread yet for feedback?