Similar themed shows?

Am writing a synopsis for a new project. One thing companies are keen on is parallels between your show and other existing shows.

One ovious parallel for this show is League of Gentlemen for the horror themes but though the show is definitely set in a real though alternative reality Britain, it has very strong surreal themes.

Without giving too much away, things that are not alive can become alive momentarily, and 'dead' people walk the streets amongst ordinary people so lifelike that they go unnoticed, only the viewer knows the truth.

Question is can you think of comedies that have had this strong reality / unreality convergence? Maybe the Young Ones as it had cameos from speaking flies and carrots but are there others? Someone suggested Mighty Boosh as a contender but i know little about it.

Thanks for your help in advance

I can think of some such as Snuff Box, Spaced, Jam (dangerously surreal), Mr Show (American), Father Ted, Garth Merenghi's Darkplace, The IT Crowd, anything with Rik Mayall, anything with Reeves and Mortimer and Sean of the Dead.

Hope this helps

Shaun of the dead?

damn my irish/brixton/ liverpool heritage. i just can't spell words proper.

Quote: ajp29 @ December 5, 2006, 12:12 AM

damn my irish/brixton/ liverpool heritage. i just can't spell words proper.

Sorry AJP29, it wasn't a dig at your spelling, i just hadn't read your post and i was just putting a name forward to Slag A

Cheers for these suggestions. Will check them out on the sitcom page and track them down on Sky.

The Mighty Boosh is pretty surreal. There are talking animals, mainly a gorilla in the zooniverse, who in the second series they flat share with. The gorilla also DJ's at Fabric. They also live with a Shaman. There are often magical or mystical items that get them into trouble, amulets, fountains of youth that type of thing. It is pretty weird.

My avatar is Milky Jo. A coconut person that Howard makes when stranded on a desert island, they discuss philosphy and fossils, before Milky eventually turns on his creator...