Definitive sitcom episodes? Page 5

Quote: Afinkawan @ January 23 2009, 1:01 PM GMT

Men of the World - the episode where Lenny and his mates are all arguing about who scored the winning goal in a football match when they were at school.

IIRC, that's S01E01. :)

The Goodies - Earthanasia - Award for best Muppets impersonation
- The One where they get entombed in Concrete. Tim's line, when he realises he will never be able to procreate, "A Son! I must have a Son! Graeme, you're a Doctor...?"
Fawlty Towers - Communication Problems. Perfect Comedy.

Not definitive but all-time favourites include:

Porridge - A Night In

Frasier - Coffee With Niles

Peep Show - Shrooming

Father Ted - Good Luck, Father Ted

Hancock's Half Hour - The Radio Ham

South Park - Cat Orgy

Blackadder - Ink and Incapability

Brilliant link- don't know any of the titles of this episode - sorry.

Royle Family - series 2 ep 4 - where Barbara falls out with Jim.
Thick Of It - clean up mother piss episode.
One Foot In The Grave - ventriloquist dummy episode.
Hancock - when he stars in The Archers parody.
Pulling - kebab episode.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ January 24 2009, 12:10 PM GMT

Hancock - when he stars in The Archers parody.

I thiiiink that that was The Archers, wasn't it? Rather than a parody?

Ah, well I stand corrected. (Should have checked my ep guide first.)

Not tooo much of a hassle to up the funny though, surely? :)

Frasier - Ham Radio
Seinfeld - The Contest (a very clever episode that we all know it's about masturbation but never gets mentioned by name).
Friends - The One Where Everybody Finds Out
Porridge - The Desperate Hours (excellent Christmas episode from 1976. I do love A Night In but this one is another gem with a few characters in a confined space).
Red Dwarf - Polymorph
Steptoe & Son - Divided We Stand
The Goodies - Earthanasia
Only Fools & Horses - Dates
One Foot In The Grave - The Pit And The Pendulum (Victor answers the phone and picks up a dog! :D )
Father Ted - Song For Europe
Blackadder - Potato (it would be very easy to choose Goodbyee, so I went for this classic from series 2 with Tom Baker as a mad ship's captain)
The New Statesman - Piers Of The Realm (featuring teddy bear torture!!)tied with Who Shot Alan B'Stard.
Cheers - An Old Fashioned Wedding (an excellent finale to season 10 written by David Lloyd who would rework the plot for the Frasier episode The Innkeepers).
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - Chuckles Bites The Dust
The Phil Silvers Show - The Court Martial
Bottom - Gas
The Young Ones - Bambi
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - Father's Clinic ( a very funny episode that ends with the show's most memorable stunt, Frank on rollerskates).
Fawlty Towers - The Germans
Are You Being Served? - Top Hat And Tails
Curb Your Enthusiasm - Beloved Aunt (one misspelt word in aunt and everybody hates Larry. It rhymes with 'runt' by the way!)
Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads - No Hiding Place
Dad's Army - The Deadly Attachment (Don't tell him Pike!)
Rising Damp - Stage Struck
Ripping Yarns - Tomkinson's Schooldays
Drop The Dead Donkey - Christmas Party

There are others but I can't think right now.

Quote: cylon6 @ January 25 2009, 1:34 AM GMT

Frasier - Ham Radio
Seinfeld - The Contest (a very clever episode that we all know it's about masturbation but never gets mentioned by name).
Friends - The One Where Everybody Finds Out
Porridge - The Desperate Hours (excellent Christmas episode from 1976. I do love A Night In but this one is another gem with a few characters in a confined space).
Red Dwarf - Polymorph
Steptoe & Son - Divided We Stand
The Goodies - Earthanasia
Only Fools & Horses - Dates
One Foot In The Grave - The Pit And The Pendulum (Victor answers the phone and picks up a dog! :D )
Father Ted - Song For Europe
Blackadder - Potato (it would be very easy to choose Goodbyee, so I went for this classic from series 2 with Tom Baker as a mad ship's captain)
The New Statesman - Piers Of The Realm (featuring teddy bear torture!!)tied with Who Shot Alan B'Stard.
Cheers - An Old Fashioned Wedding (an excellent finale to season 10 written by David Lloyd who would rework the plot for the Frasier episode The Innkeepers).
The Mary Tyler Moore Show - Chuckles Bites The Dust
The Phil Silvers Show - The Court Martial
Bottom - Gas
The Young Ones - Bambi
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - Father's Clinic ( a very funny episode that ends with the show's most memorable stunt, Frank on rollerskates).
Fawlty Towers - The Germans
Are You Being Served? - Top Hat And Tails
Curb Your Enthusiasm - Beloved Aunt (one misspelt word in aunt and everybody hates Larry. It rhymes with 'runt' by the way!)
Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads - No Hiding Place
Dad's Army - The Deadly Attachment (Don't tell him Pike!)
Rising Damp - Stage Struck
Ripping Yarns - Tomkinson's Schooldays
Drop The Dead Donkey - Christmas Party

There are others but I can't think right now.

Wow! You couldn't stick 'em on a DVD for me? :P

Reading through this thread there are some very good choices and agreement on quite a few. I'm glad there are a few fans of The Goodies' Earthanasia, thinking about it I should have included The End. And I thought my list was long until I read Jack Massey's!! He has some good ones that I completely forgot about.

Quote: Griff @ January 24 2009, 12:42 PM GMT

Actually I like the funny bits of The Archers they are just few and far between.

The bits with Jack are very funny. Poor Peggy's at the end of her tether.

Most of my family obsessively love the Archers, to the extent I think I might be adopted.
That and I'm 7foot tall and white and they're African pygmies.

Quote: sootyj @ January 26 2009, 10:58 AM GMT

Most of my family obsessively love the Archers

It's a nice show. Escapist. You listen to it and forget the modern Britain of ASBO kids etc.

Didn't Jack Wooly get happy slapped? And Shula was noshing off that vet with the gambling problems to raise money for her cocaine habit?

Quote: sootyj @ January 26 2009, 11:02 AM GMT

Didn't Jack Wooly get happy slapped? And Shula was noshing off that vet with the gambling problems to raise money for her cocaine habit?

Wow! It's like they've got a webcam in my house. I wonder if I can sue for plagarism?

You happy slapped Jack Wooly? Shame on you.

Best sitcom episodes?

Bilko the eating contest.
Peep Show the one with the bad thing or the one where they actually start fighting.
Steptoe and Son, the one where they become actors.
Father Ted the one with the evil Priest.

That final one was such an example of FT building amazing characters and never using them again. Wow that's some confidence.