Pitching to the BBC

A friend of mine is pitching his great concept/script to the BBC in two weeks time and I was wondering has anyone else been in this position?
I would really appreciate your input if you have and wish to pass onto him some helpful tips and advice...

I wish! :P

If you don't mind me asking - how and why has he been given the chance to pitch?
Sorry I can't help with your question. I'm sure there will be others who can offer advice. :)

Good luck to your friend. Let us know how he gets on. :)

[quote name="Rustle T Davis" post="318141" date="November 30 2008, 3:17 PM GMT"]

If you don't mind me asking - how and why has he been given the chance to pitch?

He sent in a pitch by email and got a call the very next day!!!!

Quote: Daddy Maz @ November 30 2008, 7:47 PM GMT

[quote name="Rustle T Davis" post="318141" date="November 30 2008, 3:17 PM GMT"]

Tell him to read out his e-mail then.

:)

Annoyingly when my script got 'pitched' they went through that e-commission nonsense where you send it by email to the people in charge. It was a pretty new thing at that point (6 months ago). They say they take 5 weeks to get back to you (and this is with the backing of one of the UKs biggest production companies) but they never did. Even major companies - the BBC never get back, or take ages.

Now, I just wish I'd knew what I know now, because then I could have pushed to pitch in in person.

Quote: Daddy Maz @ November 30 2008, 7:47 PM GMT

Are you sure he's not been just invited for a chat about it? There's a difference between that and actually going in to a pitch situation where you're esentially trying to get some money.

I sent in a script, and was invited up to chat to Stephen McCrum, who went on to produce Two pints of lager....
Chat went well, and asked for a script, which with a few changes he was happy with. It was put in to be piloted, but didn't get through. Ho Hum!

Leave to his/her/your producer to pitch. I have one at the Beeb, it's all done initially by internet/computers...? now. I have enough trouble describing the one I'm moving-on with, for Christ's sake. "It has a bloke... he's a git. He lives with his nephew... It's not anything like 'Partridge'". Is that enough?

Quote: Keith Rees @ November 30 2008, 11:28 PM GMT

I sent in a script, and was invited up to chat to Stephen McCrum, who went on to produce Two pints of lager....

Is it just me, or does Stephen McCrum look like a giant Harry Potter?

Quote: chipolata @ December 1 2008, 10:24 AM GMT

:D

Thanks for the reply Daddy Maz. I hope it goes well for him. ;)

I used to think he looked like James Spader.

And my GF thinks I look like him now.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 1 2008, 3:30 AM GMT

Leave to his/her/your producer to pitch. I have one at the Beeb, it's all done initially by internet/computers...? now. I have enough trouble describing the one I'm moving-on with, for Christ's sake. "It has a bloke... he's a git. He lives with his nephew... It's not anything like 'Partridge'". Is that enough?

That e-commission thing is nonsense. I've no faith in that, and neither do producers.

He must have grown into a giant since I met him then, but Harry Potter, yes.

Quote: Seefacts @ December 1 2008, 4:27 PM GMT

That e-commission thing is nonsense. I've no faith in that, and neither do producers.

Yeah, but that one (I'm sure you know which the "other one" is), Seefacts, is not just being pitched via the e-commissioning system. Though from what I hear about the Beeb at the moment, there's a big back-log of stuff going on.

Really? Shit. Errr

Every Tom, Dick and Harriet has probably turned to writing to try and beat off the credit crunch. Good luck... don't they know writing is the epitome of poverty?