Single Entendre Comedy Page 2

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing.

And frankly Are You being Served was a much loved show of it's time, that's now dated.

Some people still like it.

Talk about an easy and rather pointless target.

What ever next Dcikens is a twat because he get paelentology wrong on Oliver Twist.

I had idea to do this with Bond...cut the small talk.

Bondgirl: Why hello Mr Bond
Bond: I wanna f**k you in the ear
Bondgirl: Hop on old horse!

I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea :D

Thanks for the insight guys.

Personally I think it's very funny sketch but more because of the performances than the script. It's interesting to me how many scripts and sketches look shit and lame on the page but spring to life in the hands of a good performer.

For instance can anyone imagine the mauling this would get in Critique if it'd never been on The Fast Show?

PATRICK NICE:
And we were in Harrods, buying guavas, and we saw Kevin Kline. And he gave me a lovely smile. Which was nice.

END SKETCH

Well Lee not meaning to be a kiss ass.

But the thing that stuck out was how lesser it was to your usual stuff.

I think it taught me a lesson, that production savvy can beat writing quality.

Totally agree Lee. The Royle Family script would be another good example.

This is something I think my writing often suffers from. I honestly think the reader often doesn't see the funny because it looks 'shit and lame' on the page.

But because I also perform I can see and hear the character in my head quite clearly. It's interesting that in the the comedy comps I've done well in, I've also performed - I don't think if I'd just sent in a script it would have been as well received. So it's a bit of problem when sending a script off. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity or resourses to always film or record my stuff.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 28 2008, 8:26 PM BST

For instance can anyone imagine the mauling this would get in Critique if it'd never been on The Fast Show?

PATRICK NICE:
And we were in Harrods, buying guavas, and we saw Kevin Kline. And he gave me a lovely smile. Which was nice.

END SKETCH

Yes. Very true.

I woner how you establish that something will be funny once it's up on screen...

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 28 2008, 9:11 PM BST

Totally agree Lee. The Royle Family script would be another good example.

This is something I think my writing often suffers from. I honestly think the reader often doesn't see the funny because it looks 'shit and lame' on the page.

Maybe you should try and write something that reads funny first of all.

Then when you've got the freedom and some respect from producers, show them your 'Royle Family'.

Quote: Winterlight @ October 28 2008, 9:50 PM BST

Yes. Very true.

I woner how you establish that something will be funny once it's up on screen...

That sketch, I reckon, probably didn't start out on the page. It was probably Mark Williams larking about, a bit like his 'this week, I've been mostly eating . . .'.

The 'nice' guy probably was based on a real person and they just took it to an extreme.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 28 2008, 9:52 PM BST

That sketch, I reckon, probably didn't start out on the page. It was probably Mark Williams larking about, a bit like his 'this week, I've been mostly eating . . .'.

The 'nice' guy probably was based on a real person and they just took it to an extreme.

Exactly; it was performers larking about and actually DOING the bits to each other, rather than a writer handing over a bit of paper with a few words typed on it.

I guess so. That sounds pretty plausible.

I remember watching a documentary about The Fast Show where they said they would come in at the start of each series and showcase their new characters.

Quote: Winterlight @ October 28 2008, 9:51 PM BST

Maybe you should try and write something that reads funny first of all.

Well I do try... :D

Seriously though I do write more obvious gag stuff, but don't think it's really my best or my real style. The real answer seems to be to get known as a performer first, but as I haven't been to drama school, Oxbridge, or am able to spend most evenings doing live gigs I'm a bit stuck really.

I knew I'd get that response! I spent a good 5 minutes agonising over how to word that comment without it sounding like "Perhaps try writing something funny, Missy".

I think performing live is a great opportunity to build your profile.

I'd do stand up if I wasn't such a chicken. And had wrote more than 3 standup jokes. And had better diction. And didn't sweat under pressure.

Quote: Winterlight @ October 28 2008, 11:32 PM BST

I knew I'd get that response! I spent a good 5 minutes agonising over how to word that comment without it sounding like "Perhaps try writing something funny, Missy".

I think performing live is a great opportunity to build your profile.

I'd do stand up if I wasn't such a chicken. And had wrote more than 3 standup jokes. And had better diction. And didn't sweat under pressure.

I just wish gigs were in the afternoon and not at night. Would make it much easier for me.