I hoped for a writing partner... Page 2

I got dumped by my writing partner. Oh the pain.

I write on my own and with others. My partners work with other writers too. Sometimes one of us will just come up with a few ideas, other times a whole sketch or song could be jointly written. We bounce off each other for some projects and others just wouldn't work between us. It is a great arrangement for me.

I've never actually written with anybody; I now collaborate on a couple of things with a few people I've met on here; such as Bussell and Winterlight, but I've never actually written a script with someone else. It would certainly be an interesting thing to have a go at at some point, if only to see how it would even work. I'm sure there's a lot of pride swallowing and bartering involved.

I would only write with someone I knew really well. I keep nudging my friends to write, so far I've got them ad-libbing lines during filming.... but I suspect they only do that because they can't be arsed to learn the actual lines.

Forgot to say - I know the people I write with and see them regularly, I haven't tried linking up with someone via a forum like this so I don't know how well that works.

Obviously there are good sides to writing with a partner...

Def.

Quote: Deferenz @ October 16 2008, 8:33 PM BST

Obviously there are good sides to writing with a partner...

Def.

Indeed - you can nick all their ideas teehee

Didn't John Cleese claim that he did all the work, when writing with Graham Chapman?

Gervais and Merchant would do little improvs I think, so that's how they worked.

Mack and Collins sat in a room together and bashed it out, blow by blow. As did the respective League of Gents guys.

Perry and Croft wrote separate episodes, but took equal credit like Lennon and McCartney.

Curtis and Elton passed a floppy disc between them and kept updating the files with new jokes.

Quote: catskillz @ October 16 2008, 8:39 PM BST

Didn't John Cleese claim that he did all the work, when writing with Graham Chapman?

Well, that he did a fair bit of the donkey work, then Chapman would sweep in with some brilliant idea that turned the sketch from merely good to great.

Curtis and Elton also had that famous rule that if one of them scrubbed a joke out, the other one was never allowed to try and put it back in.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ October 16 2008, 6:55 PM BST

Who was that, Lee?

AJP29. I think he lives in a computer game now?

Quote: Leevil @ October 16 2008, 11:54 PM BST

AJP29. I think he lives in a computer game now?

Oh, yeah, he's one of those legendary BB posters, isn't he?

BB?

Before Bandage? Laughing out loud

You knows it.