UKTV Gold - what's changed?

I don't have sky so I don't watch UK Gold but I have seen many 'lost gems' of a sitcom nature with a UKGold ident at the top but whenever I have looked in the Radio Times it just shows sitcoms that get repeated all the time. So did UK Gold used to show great archive material? but not anymore.

Correct.

When it first started it had a strong Thames influence and their archive was exploited quite extensively. However, the BBC programmes were edited to fit into the rigid scheduling so they got a lot of complaints - many from me - when they sliced five minutes out of each one. I'll try and dig out a scan of early UKGold programming if it is of interest?

Pretty much on the money there! Still shows some good classics, but they seem to overdo 'only fools' and 'The Vicar Of Dibley' they seem to be on alot! Don't know what Catherine Tate is doing on there though! :S

But did UK Gold always show the 'over-repeated' sitcom- did it have a healthy proportion with the 'lost gem' Does the channel show anything slightly archive anymore. I remember 'It Aint Half' was on a couple of years ago- has there been anything since then. I put it to you but I think the best channel for comedy is ITV3.

Quote: Alan C @ July 23 2008, 9:19 PM BST

When it first started it had a strong Thames influence and their archive was exploited quite extensively. However, the BBC programmes were edited to fit into the rigid scheduling so they got a lot of complaints - many from me - when they sliced five minutes out of each one. I'll try and dig out a scan of early UKGold programming if it is of interest?

of great interest.

I'll try and dig out a scan of early UKGold programming if it is of interest?

Also Interested!
:)

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 23 2008, 9:21 PM BST

But did UK Gold always show the 'over-repeated' sitcom- did it have a healthy proportion with the 'lost gem' Does the channel show anything slightly archive anymore. I remember 'It Aint Half' was on a couple of years ago- has there been anything since then. I put it to you but I think the best channel for comedy is ITV3.

Last thing they showed even close to "archive" or "gem" was a few years back when they had the Routes of Comedy season, or whatever it wa called. Steptoe, Hancock, Likely Lads, etc.

When it first started it had a strong Thames influence and their archive was exploited quite extensively. However, the BBC programmes were edited to fit into the rigid scheduling so they got a lot of complaints - many from me - when they sliced five minutes out of each one.

I read that as "mainly", and was not surprised in the slightest. :D

You're right though. It is IMO a f**king disgrace that they don't exploit Thames' archives more, particularly in light of Network's output.

As it is, ITV3 is good, but the best by FAR at the moment is Paramount 2.

They stopped showing, or so it seems, Blackadder, Red Dwarf and bottom which although cheesy was very watchable! :D amongst other quality programmes!
It's a shame really.. but they do still play 'Some mothers Do 'Ave 'Em :)

14th December 1994

I rate Network as my favourite DVD company. Who agrees. There are two reasons why I think they're so great.

1) They release great archive television that will otherwise lay un-watched. If it wasn't for them I would never have seen the masterpiece Two in Clover.

2) They don't get the scissors out and start cutting things to death. I love the way they even keep the ad-caps in. In some shows if you rewind back when you select an episode you can see the countdown clocks. If you didn't notice this and want examples of episodes that do this on network DVD's- please don't hesitate to PM me.

Good luck finding any of that on now! interesting cut! shame it's not as spread as that any more :(
No variety! come on UKTV Gold!!

Quote: Chickenoriental @ July 23 2008, 9:31 PM BST

They stopped showing, or so it seems, Blackadder, Red Dwarf and bottom which although cheesy was very watchable! :D amongst other quality programmes!
It's a shame really.. but they do still play 'Some mothers Do 'Ave 'Em :)

All are now on Dave (ex-UKTV G2). Pretty much every night.

Quote: Aaron @ July 23 2008, 9:38 PM BST

All are now on Dave (ex-UKTV G2). Pretty much every night.

:) This is true but I only have Gold.. sob..

I like TOTP2. That's a good show.

This is interesting... Straight from wikipedia!