Red Dwarf Movie

Anyone know any recent news on the Red Dwarf Movie?

With Craig Charles recent alleged drug arrest, is the movie doomed ? :O

Worse things have happened than drug-related arrests. I would expect, if there is going to be one, then something like that is HIGHLY unlikely to stop it.

Agreed Aaron, ( but Craig's previous arrest DID slow Red Dwarf series production ... ) and this movie has been mooted for 4- 5 years, since the end of series 8, and the official red dwarf fan club & Grant Naylor productions web sites have been showing excerts from likely "scripts" and storyboards for 2 years plus now!

I really want a movie or a series 9 ...

What do you guys think?

V

As much as I love Red Dwarf I don't think there'd be a big audience for it currently. My 17 year old nephew watched one of my tapes of it and deemed it 'a load of crap'. With people downloading films all the time now would they risk a low audience figure to put it in cinemas.

That's true... But then again, The League of Gentlemen did alright with their movie, didn't they? I think it'd probably be the kind of film where if you're going to go, you're going to go.

You'll then go home and download it.

...But only to satiate your comedy needs until the DVD is out.

Which brings me to my point overall - most of the money is in DVD sales and rentals now anyway.

As for the audience, well, I must admit that I have not actually seen any Red Dwarf. It's one of the things towards the top of my "to watch" list. But yes, it's an unfortunate situation we've got ourselves into at the moment, where the only things people seem to find funny are the "cutting edge" stuff, and are very snobbish about anything else.

But hey, screw them. No matter how funny/amusing/entertaining "The Mighty Boosh" may be, it doesn't even come close to "Bless This House".

I hope to goodness they don't bring out a series 9. Series 7 and 8 were imo dire. The only highlight being Pete the budgie episode. Bringing all the crew back utterly changed the show's dynamic which was based around Lister and Rimmer.

As to a movie, it should have been out a decade ago. It's been way too long. As much as i loved series 2-6, i'd prefer happy memories of the way they were not middle-aged duffers faffing around on hi-tech hi-qual movie sets. The cat in a zimmer, spare us.

SlagA

______________________________________________________________ www.welshwriters.org.uk/slaggbrothers - Anarchic Welsh writers www.welshwriters.org.uk/ajdesmond - a new Sci-fi / Humour writer

Bit late to reply to this thread but as the movie situation doesn't appear to have changed I guess it's ok. The fact that the Dwarf DVDs have sold nearly 2million copies in the U.K. indicates to me that the movie certainly wouldn't be a disaster at the box office. Even Series VII and VIII have sold over 200,000 each which is very impressive.

The main reason why the movie hasn't been made is because it needs a budget of between £12m-20m. This seems like a huge amount of money for a British sitcom to me but what do I know?

I would be sceptical about whether it would be any good because Rob Grant is still not involved, the cast may struggle to act without an audience and the writer and the cast aren't getting any younger.

There was some Government "perk" for making films in the UK with a budget of around £15 million, whereby they got grants ( not Naylor! ) and tax breaks for investing that money in the British film industry, so worth overall perhaps double.

That was raised at a RD Dimension Jump a few years ago when the film idea was being launched.

It's been so long who knows if it will ever surface or even be completed.
Any one know Grant Naylor Productions and their CEO HelenNorman?
Maybe I give them a call ...

as a huge red dwarf fan i don't think a film is the way forward. it would be better to make a one of special to go on the BBC. red dwarf is a superb saga and deserves an end whether that be a film or not.

I was interested in what you said Vulnax about the grants given to British films but would Red Dwarf even qualify for that? It would have to be filmed in Australia presumably with Australian crews, equipment and supporting artists and so I'm not sure how much it would benefit the British film industry.

Why would it have to be filmed in Australia? =/

They can't afford to film it anywhere else. I guess it's similar to the League of Gentlemen situation when they had to film in Ireland. There may not be the equipment in Ireland to do a biggish budget sci-fi movie though.

"If there's a will, there's a way", etc. I can't think that the cost would be too prohibitive like that.

Unless they decide to actually film it in space and have to find real aliens.

Well quite...