Best Ricky Gervais line Page 2

I like the verbal sparing between him and his manager on Extras. Especially in the first episode ( I think it was the first episode) when he is asking if he got his script for "When the Whistle Blows".

Quote: Griff @ May 6 2008, 10:05 PM BST

The point is surely to underline that Brent is the kind of idiot who constantly perpetuates bad old jokes and claims them as his own?

Or is the 'point' more that, unlike your brilliant, multi-layered-humour-understanding self, your average 'The Office' afficionado is the kind who actually thinks that the 'crack of Dawn' joke is indeed original..?

You know, 'Little Britain' appreciators...

I don't think there's that much of a crossover to be honest.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ May 7 2008, 9:12 PM BST

Or is the 'point' more that, unlike your brilliant, multi-layered-humour-understanding self, your average 'The Office' afficionado is the kind who actually thinks that the 'crack of Dawn' joke is indeed original..?

You know, 'Little Britain' appreciators...

No one thinks that joke is original, its the sort of thing the Brent character would say, thats why it works; that and Dawns reaction.

Jolanta seems to be suggesting that most of Ricky's fans are too thick to understand the 'subtleties' that we do.

Quote: zooo @ May 7 2008, 9:19 PM BST

Jolanta seems to be suggesting that most of Ricky's fans are too thick to understand the 'subtleties' that we do.

Well shes got me right, im thick as pig shit. Really stupid pig shit. (Im assuming shes a she)

Quote: zooo @ May 7 2008, 9:19 PM BST

Is she havin' a laugh? Eh? Is She having a laugh? :)

Quote: Griff @ May 7 2008, 9:17 PM BST

I can't be the only person who suspects David Brent is intended as a character for us to laugh at, not with.

I like Gervais stuff but i think its naive to assume that all those laughing to Brent and Millman and laughing AT them and not with them.

Ricky likes to give it the moral high ground but he knows full well lots of his stuff appeals to people as it comes, with no hint of irony.

Quite like the Guv.

(Al Murray.)

I really like so many of the lines they gave to Les Dennis including:

'I don't like to blow my own...not with my back.'

Cheap but very funny coming from him.

Quote: Griff @ May 7 2008, 9:17 PM BST

I'm not quite sure what I did to deserve that little dig, but I can't be the only person who suspects David Brent is intended as a character for us to laugh at, not with.

Oh indeed, that's the INTENTION. Just a shame there's no humour...

Jolanta, how old are you? Just interested is all.

She's older than the stars, but not as old as the moon.

About 24 then.

Quote: Griff @ May 6 2008, 9:51 PM BST

The line that made my jaw drop is when Brent is role-playing with the trainer a scenario about bad service in a hotel, and shouts "There's been a rape up there!" in order to "win" the exchange.

this

"Who says famine has to be depressing?"

I love that man.