End of the line for the British comedy movie?

I haven't seen Magicians so I couldn't really say which was better but I loved Hot Fuzz like crazy.

I can't really reply to your comment without having seen both films. I think you are wrong but I have no way of knowing without having seen Magicians.

So I'm off to go and see Magicians before I talk any further

Shouldn't have posted really, sorry :)

Being slightly snobbish about my own country, but I always think Britcoms have a very bleak stylised look to them (probably reflecting the damp and drizzle of ole Blighty) but whatever it is, it puts me off.

I'm not saying they should replicate American films and turn the colour setting up to full and make everything look like a cartoon. But British films, even comedies always look bleak and depressing. It's like they use some sort of filter on the lens.

Now funny is funny, whether or not the colour is high or not but the general point I'm trying to get across is British films, especially the independent ones just have a grainy horrible look.

I'm waffling, didn't even read the article but I'm in the mood to talk bollocks so I'll continue... yeah, so British films...

I like Shaun of the Dead, mainly because I love the cast and would instantly like it anyway based just on that. But I thought it was a good film because it knew what it was and wasn't afraid to push itself and it just went out to be a 'cool, fun film'.

Other recent efforts in the past 10 years or so try too hard, either by being pushed by the American studios or doing the opposite and trying to hard to be exclusively "British" with their Apples and Pears and no American leads (which is a good thing I suppose) but yeah, most films reek of too much effort in the wrong direction.

A lot of them are just weak ideas, again trying to hard with a stupid plot. "He's the best lawn-mower in the land but can he get the girl?"
Yeah "lol" he's a crappy lawn-mower for crappy England, whereas Hollywood has Bruce Willis as a astronaut. Yeah England is crap and small, very hilarious. *shakes head*

Also, why are all characters in Britflicks 'pricks'? Except for the Hugh Grants who embody the whole prick thing in a totally different way. But this always bothers me, Shaun of the Dead always bothers me, because in Spaced Mike is great lovable little crazy man but in Shaun of the Dead he acts like a right c**t, maybe that's more like Nick? I dunno but I didn't like it and I'm sure the same 'prickiness' appears in many other movies, which makes it very hard to sympathise with the characters, along with the bleak grainy film look and the weak plot line, it leaves me thinking very turned off from home grown movies.

Ramble over.

The article is pretty much spot on. Ricky Gervais is 100% correct in his views also.

I'm pretty certain that Borat isn't a British film in the areas that count - funding, production and distribution.

Pleeeease use proper quotes Griff!

Good point there Griff - the AliG movie was horrendous, truly horrendous; and very much a brit-film - both in terms of it's lack of artistic ambition, integrity, and tacky delivery. The contrast with Borat couldn't be any bigger.

I bloody hope it's not the end of the line for the Britcom, since I've got one shooting at the moment.

With regards to 'Three and Out' - the marketing was dire. I thought Mackenzie Crook was fantastic in 'The Office' but I haven't thought much of him in anything else. That's not to say he's been bad in anything, he just hasn't struck me as someone I would go and see a film because of. Same as Martin Freeman - good enough actor, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see a film purely because he was the star.

Since Three and Out's marketing campaing seemed to consist solely of Mackenzie Crook's face - why would I want to watch it? I didn't even find out what it was about until after it had been and gone at the cinema. Films live or die on their marketing and this one seemed to get it completely wrong.

Having said that, it's not over yet. Cinema isn't the point of a film anymore; it's all about the DVD sales. Cinema is just an expensive advert for the DVD, so maybe 'Three and Out' will claw back some money there.

But haven't we always been rubbish at making films!? I reckon it's probably the start of a good period for British comedies now Simon Pegg and co. have led the way.

In the past we'd get one good movie every 4 or 5 years, then all the leading actors (and probably crews) from that film would go and make mega bucks in Hollywood and the momentum would wane.

Quote: Griff @ May 9 2008, 1:08 PM BST

Discuss.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,2278596,00.html

(All I have to say on this subject is that I thought Magicians was much better than Hot Fuzz, which probably puts me in a minority of one.)

i agree

I enjoyed Magicians too.
I preferred Hot Fuzz, but not by all that much.

Shaun of the Dead though, is one of the best British films ever made.

Magicians was another blow to the credibility of Mitchell & Webb. I understand that the fan-boy demogrpahic would dig it, but from a considered point of view, it was dire.

British films/TV is always just so miserable. It may fly on TV but when you go to the movies you want a bit of glam.

Growing up i always wondered why we watched Corrie and the US had Dallas.

Something odd about us that makes us like to see poor struggling people over those with some success.....and its reflected in our grey films.

Tory.

I'm not much of a film fan although I loved the old St Trinians, Carry Ons and even Ealing comedies. It's not because I'm old - they just all worked so much better.

I have seen Shaun of the Dead which was good but was a bit overlong.

It's just that British comedy has changed. Not necessarily for the better although Benidorm, Gavin & Stacey and Visiting Time (???) are good in places but there is just something lacking. If I could my finger on it I'd be a succesful writer.

Wow. I largely agree with David! :O

I find British comedy movies simply embarrassing. SotD and HF were good; Magicians was rubbish.

And then Russell Brand gets onto our screeens! How? Why?!