Script Editing Page 2

Agree, and imagine that a lot of script editors have not only come from somewhere else inside the industry, but also are looking to it as good grounding into ultimately producing.

Yep, I hear all this and from my research it is the traditional way though I do know some people who have got into it a non-traditional way.

And the way I see it, it doesn't hurt to practise and if I can help people with thier scripts then that, is a bonus too.

Absolutely and all the best.

Most of em I know started off as secretaries. How's your dictation Danny??

:)

Well Danny gave my bits a good seeing to - then he looked at our script.

Some useful points which I will be addressing soon - with the agreement of Ms Rance.

I had Danny take a look at my pilot, Grind Show, and he did a good job. Echoed a few concerns and came down hard on lines that didn't work. Recommended.

Any or all of you might be interested to learn that I'm running an Introduction to Script Editing for Euroscript - just go to Euroscript's website, look at their courses, and you'll get more details. It's precisely aimed for people who are thinking of script editing, and want to get an idea of what it would entail. Agreed, it doesn't guarantee you a job, but it's a really good start and should be an interesting course. And it's pretty good value, a lot cheaper than the BBC! (I also have a background in comedy writing and will happily bring comedy script editing into greater prominence if there is interest in this area). It starts on April 22nd.

Just want to add I have finally managed to clear my backlog, if anybody else wants to help me out as it were.

Thanks

Danny

Quote: dannyjb1 @ April 17 2008, 12:07 PM BST

Just want to add I have finally managed to clear my backlog, if anybody else wants to help me out as it were.

Thanks

Danny

What are you after Danny?

Quote: Marc P @ April 17 2008, 1:11 PM BST

What are you after Danny?

I've been trying my hand at script editing peoples scripts for them, as it's something I'd like to get into more.

Quiet a few people have been helpful in submitting stuff and giving me feedback on my feedback.

D

Danny just got back to me after reading a script of mine. I'd really gone blind to it and couldn't really think objectively about it any more.

Just like to say the feedback he gave me was very useful, he also made some good suggestions of gags and lines which could work as well as pointing out some which don't.

I really appreciate it and highly recommend him to anyone.
Cheers Danny

Danny looked over a script of our recently completed live show. It was really helpful getting some objective feedback and getting a different perspective. It was a long script but Danny gave detailed feedback which was really useful.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ April 17 2008, 1:17 PM BST

I've been trying my hand at script editing peoples scripts for them, as it's something I'd like to get into more.

Quiet a few people have been helpful in submitting stuff and giving me feedback on my feedback.

D

Good luck Danny Boy, you certainly don't need to be in the biz already or a brilliant writer, they are two different skill sets. I know one unproduced writer who has well-known established writers as her reading clients.

But I think ALL writers should be doing what you're doing. Looking at what works or doesn't work in other people's scripts helps us see what to keep and cut from our own scripts. Do it often enough and your own writing will improve in leaps and bounds.

Also check out Micheál Jacob's Comedy Script Editor's Checklist on my site of web.

I'm not sure about that last one on his list though!

I've just used Danny's services for my latest horror screenplay and I have to say, he did an excellent job.

Danny made some great points, questioned things, offered suggestions and spotted some things I hadn't.

Highly recommended.