Question for Stand-Ups

I'm currently doing a stand-up course and my 'homework' was to write 2 one minute sets on 2 different subjects. (And it's for tonight)

What does 1 minute look like written down roughly...

D

roughly one page A4.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ April 16 2008, 9:12 AM BST

I'm currently doing a stand-up course and my 'homework' was to write 2 one minute sets on 2 different subjects. (And it's for tonight)

D

oNe M iN ute
:P

Quote: Sofa_Matt @ April 16 2008, 9:27 AM BST

roughly one page A4.

That much?

*Faint*

Curse me for leaving it till the last minute.

If I were you I would learn to become the master of the dramatic.......................pause. ;)

I think it would be less than one A4 page, but there's only one way to find out. Write what you believe to be a minute and then time yourself reading it out.

Quote: Sofa_Matt @ April 16 2008, 9:27 AM BST

roughly one page A4.

For dialogue that's true, but for a monologue, I reckon about half that.

Don't go by how much is written on the page. Record and/or time yourself performing it. Leave a few seconds for laughs too. Remember stand-up is about performance and is not like writing essays.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ April 16 2008, 9:31 AM BST

That much?

*Faint*

Curse me for leaving it till the last minute.

If I was you, I'd record myself performing any material you already have, plus some free-styling ad-lib. You might find that you deliver some wonderful on-the-spot lines.

Of course, you could also copy Larry David in his early days of stand-up: Walk up to the mic. Slowly take a long look around the room. Then, look back the other way, making sure you've made eye-contact with most people. Tut and say, "Typical!" Then walk off.

That should take about a minute! :D

one page of A4 but the good news is thats double line spaced.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ April 16 2008, 9:12 AM BST

D

Depends whether there are any jokes requiring time for laughs in it. If it's very funny then a minute lasts 10 seconds. If it's not then a minute lasts ten minutes.

I have 2 pages of A4 with spacing and it lasts 5 minutes partly because I will add bits, have small gaps and so on.

I can't believe you took a class Danny, I feel stand up can't be taught, you just do it, you get a bad experience and go do another gig.

I would suggest a bit of structure to it but other than that just write some jokes and try them out on people you're happy with the order of it all, go perform it.

Quote: Paul W @ April 16 2008, 4:25 PM BST

I can't believe you took a class Danny, I feel stand up can't be taught, you just do it, you get a bad experience and go do another gig.

Well for me it's not about just doing stand-up, there are other aspects.

But I have found it invaluable so fat, still we'll see.

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ April 16 2008, 9:29 AM BST

oNe M iN ute
:P

Beat me to it! Pleased

Quote: dannyjb1 @ April 16 2008, 4:29 PM BST

Well for me it's not about just doing stand-up, there are other aspects.

But I have found it invaluable so fat, still we'll see.

Fair enough, if you feel you're truely gaining something what am I to argue.

If you want help in anyway, I'm a PM away :D