What are you watching on TV? Page 2,295

One Foot in the Grave
If there's a writer better than David Renwick at plotting a sitcom I'd like to know their name.
Masterful.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th April 2024, 4:08 PM

One Foot in the Grave
If there's a writer better than David Renwick at plotting a sitcom I'd like to know their name.
Masterful.

Take your pick - Alan Simpson or Ray Galton

Britain's Got Talent - or not.

There used to be more talent on Amateur night down my local club.
A Korean Taekwondo group were very good but.....not British?
An American girl who burped her way through a song? (and I mean very loud nearly puking burps - disgusting)
A dog act and a singer who murdered 'Tomorrow but was raved about.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st April 2024, 1:06 AM

Take your pick - Alan Simpson or Ray Galton

Both absolute geniuses - Gods, even.
And when it comes to character driven comedy - the best, maybe (certainly pioneers).
But I think Renwick has them when it comes to intricate plotting.
He brilliantly weaves together multiple story lines, seeding things early in the show that come to fruition later on.
He manages to make the sometimes bizarre outcomes seem perfectly logical - simply through the spadework he's put in earlier on.
You see why he wanted to move onto a murder/mystery series.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 21st April 2024, 8:18 AM

Britain's Got Talent - or not.

There used to be more talent on Amateur night down my local club.
A Korean Taekwondo group were very good but.....not British?
An American girl who burped her way through a song? (and I mean very loud nearly puking burps - disgusting)
A dog act and a singer who murdered 'Tomorrow but was raved about.

Really Stephen, I'm surprised and don't know why you watch such drivel

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st April 2024, 9:03 AM

Both absolute geniuses - Gods, even.
And when it comes to character driven comedy - the best, maybe (certainly pioneers).
He brilliantly weaves together multiple story lines, seeding things early in the show that come to fruition later on.
He manages to make the sometimes bizarre outcomes seem perfectly logical - simply through the spadework he's put in earlier on.

Well............I won't dissect every G&S script, but Blood Donor for example, has a nice twist at the end when he (SPOILER ALERT!) gets his own blood back, and a lot of the Steptoe stories had nice twists and turns.

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st April 2024, 9:03 AM

...for which he was better suited imo. Sitcoms require a lighter touch than he gave OFITG, imo. Very cleverly but very deliberately plotted or constructed, compare this with the seamless flow of just as busily plotted Fawlty Towers where each twist is usually a surprise.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st April 2024, 9:31 AM

Well............I won't dissect every G&S script, but Blood Donor for example, has a nice twist at the end when he (SPOILER ALERT!) gets his own blood back, and a lot of the Steptoe stories had nice twists and turns.

Not saying they were without plot or that they couldn't craft a satisfying & sometimes surprising storyline.
But still, IMHO, plot-wise, David Renwick is the boss.

Whereas in One Foot in the Grave I was always expecting the surprise, which obviously diminishes it. Good ground breaking sitcom without a doubt, but the 'writer's hand' is very visible. Felt to me a construction more than most sitcoms.

https://youtu.be/21wDvJtSKZo?si=u1tG0M_-F-ozCJf5

Blankety Blank with Les Dawson on Thats TV

Terry and June.
Before the show, there was a warning about discriminatory language.
Phew, thanks for the warning, I was nearly offended but turned it off in time.

My favourite is the one where June calls the Vicar a c*nt

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th April 2024, 7:53 AM

Terry and June.

Wonder which bit was offensive?
Lee Anderson spotted the same thing.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th April 2024, 7:53 AM

Terry and June.

It's because Terry comes down and tells June what he wants for breakfast. And she cooks it for him.