The nature of Reality and the mystery of consciousness

If you've ever wondered If Time is already written, or if we are in a creation/simulation, whether conciousness exists in the individual or whether it's one thing of itself
So have humanities greatest minds and they got nowhere either, especially once all that Quantum nonsense popped up and confused things
But where better to solve it once and for all than on the BCG

Any theories welcome
Especially the next comment or lack of comment, which may have already been predetermined

Elon Musk says it's a simulation, so I'll automatically assume the opposite. It would be really interesting to see what happens when the switch is thrown and I blink out of existence. (Sounds like an electric chair electrocution, but I hope to go out more peacefully, and in the distant future.)

They say that if you die naturally in bed with your loved ones around you - at the last moment, there is a massive firing of brain synapses.
Who knows what that indicates?

By coincidence, there was an excellent neuroscientist on the Trisha Goddard show at the weekend, who is delving into what happens to the brain when you die, and she had the help of a young friend of hers who was dying of cancer and agreed to have her brain monitored - this resulted in some astonishing findings of discovering that at the point of death, the brain (under normal circumstances, that is not an accident) is fed a rush of blood and this is puzzling; but may explain why people who have been revived tell of seeing bright lights etc. and memories from their past.

It seems pretty conclusive as a fact, but not why it is happening, for which her programme is ongoing with other dying patients.

My thought is - is this preparation for the brain's "content" to be taken to the "Next Step"? Certainly makes you wonder.............

I quite like the theory of Quantum Immortality - which is tied into the multiverse concept (and, no, I'm not talking about super-hero movies!)
Forgive the cut/paste:

... It suggests that, because our consciousness is intimately connected to the quantum world, we may continue to exist in a specific branch of the multiverse where we always survive or never experience death. From our subjective perspective, it would seem as though we are somehow "immortal" since we only perceive the realities where we survive.

I think that's quite neat.

Interesting replies, thanks for that guys
I admit i've never heard about a link between conciousness and the Quantum world
But I suppose there is at least in the way quantum things only seem to come into existence or a set state when observed / examined

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 8th April 2024, 12:04 AM

If you've ever wondered If Time is already written,

All the time, I actually started a novellised thesis on this many moons ago but I doubt I'll have time to finish it. As a frequent experiencer of de ja vu I am convinced we are acting out some sort of repeated cycle or that our destiny is already planned, as there are so many instances recorded of premonitions predicting real events, and spooky things like the bullet hole in Presidents Lincoln's coat. Ner ner ner ner...

Ever since university I've liked Rene Descartes 'I think therefore I am', which basically means that I'm the only thing that I can ever be certain exists in the world and everything else could just be an illusion.

Yes but he was a drunken fart

Quote: chipolata @ 12th April 2024, 10:33 AM

'I think therefore I am'

I want to think. Does that mean I'm a wannabe?

Billy Bunter seems like an intelligent sort so I was expecting him to chip in on this thread but I suppose we can't expect him to put Descartes before de horses.

Quote: Julia Caesar @ 14th April 2024, 12:22 PM

Billy Bunter seems like an intelligent sort so I was expecting him to chip in on this thread but I suppose we can't expect him to put Descartes before de horses.

Thhhrummmmp Tisshhhhhh..........................I Thangyow!

"I think therefore I am" (René Descartes)

"I think therefore I am what I am and that's all what I am" (Popeye)

😁

Quote: Julia Caesar @ 15th April 2024, 4:55 PM

"I think therefore I am" (René Descartes)

"I think therefore I am what I am and that's all what I am" (Popeye)

You understand that the BCG, you, the person who created Popeye, and even Herc are just figments of my imagination.