Saucy seaside postcards Page 86

Look Alison or whatever your name really is.

The thread is about saucy seaside postcards. NOT your unfunny rewriting of them. We just want to see what they said at the time.

If you want to amuse yourself then keep them to another thread.

Live and let live, Chappers.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th August 2023, 1:53 PM

Look Alison or whatever your name really is.

My name is "Ms Blunderland" to you, Rodney.

Quote: don rushmore @ 28th August 2023, 2:15 PM

Thanks Don, and well done on the W C Boggs question. I didn't know it.

Quote: don rushmore @ 28th August 2023, 2:15 PM

You clearly don't know the history, so keep your opinion to yourself! And leave Chappers alone!!!

It could even be like the original saucy postcard that inspired me to create the above variation (saucy because it depicts two guys on the sauce).

Quote: alison blunderland @ 27th August 2023, 11:37 PM

Original postcard, with the most yukkily-worded caption I've ever seen. What were they thinking when they published that?

A there's a hundred years between their vernacular and ours, not only that but publishing of the time didn't reflect the informal usage of most people, it was very formal and in many cases stilted, as you find this original to be. But it would've have looked quite normal to post card users of the time.

Quote: alison blunderland @ 29th August 2023, 12:19 AM

Good, but I'd change the opening two lines to -

Don't know much about HGT
Will learn more from his obituary

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th August 2023, 11:37 PM

You clearly don't know the history, so keep your opinion to yourself! And leave Chappers alone!!!

My hero!

It seems reasonable that if a thread starter feels someone is taking the thread off topic and asks them to stop or in this case suggests creating a new thread for that material they should be reasonable and do that and not keep posting in the same thread and even mocking BCG members in the captions. That coupled with the shameless reference to alleged bullying and image isn't the actions of someone playing with a full deck.

Create a new thread in the Showcase forum to place posts that contain edited versions of saucy seaside postcards so this thread can be kept to just the originals with no editing. Why Alison Blunderland has not done this or been told they must do this is baffling.

Good idea Tarby. A new, separate thread.

He has form.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th August 2023, 12:40 AM

A there's a hundred years between their vernacular and ours, not only that but publishing of the time didn't reflect the informal usage of most people, it was very formal and in many cases stilted, as you find this original to be. But it would've have looked quite normal to post card users of the time.

I think that's a very good point Alf. In the early decades of the 20th century, that expression wouldn't have appeared unusual. Thanks for your input.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 29th August 2023, 7:39 AM

It seems reasonable that if a thread starter feels someone is taking the thread off topic and asks them to stop or in this case suggests creating a new thread for that material they should be reasonable and do that and not keep posting in the same thread and even mocking BCG members in the captions. That coupled with the shameless reference to alleged bullying and image isn't the actions of someone playing with a full deck.

Create a new thread in the Showcase forum to place posts that contain edited versions of saucy seaside postcards so this thread can be kept to just the originals with no editing. Why Alison Blunderland has not done this or been told they must do this is baffling.

It's not baffling to anybody who knows this thread, Tarby.

Elsewhere on this thread, HGT has said that, although he started the thread, it isn't his personal property and it's open to anyone wishing to post material here.

Also, on this thread, Aaron has okayed the idea of suggesting alternative captions and so has HGT (although HGT's blessing comes with the proviso that nobody should re-caption a postcard he himself has just posted).

So, with you no longer baffled, perhaps we can move on? I do hope so.

Quote: don rushmore @ 29th August 2023, 2:22 AM

Will learn more from his obituary

Well, thanks for wishing me dead. Good God, there's no need for that, just 'cos you've got a strop on. Why don't you go back to preening yourself in front of the mirror and leave serious matters to the men.

I had already suggested he/she/they start their own thread.

Quote: Firkin @ 29th August 2023, 7:57 AM

Good idea Tarby. A new, separate thread.

YES! A very good idea! WILL THEY TAKE THIS IN? But, sadly he/she/it is too thick to realise that, as borne out by previous suggestions as to why their so-called humour is NOT funny, especially as it breaks one of the main golden rules of comedy.

AND, they cannot take criticism as they evoke the tiresome wokery of "cyberbullying". I suggest they go on a postcard site (there are many) and post their "improvements" on there and see what sort of abuse and name calling they get!

Aaron okaying this childish rewriting of classic postcards doesn't make it right - it is just his opinion, as there are at least half a dozen regulars on here (including me, of course!) who do not like seeing classic comedy messed about with - what's next, rewriting G&S scripts. Scripts that have been honed to perfection, which is again something this whippersnapper does NOT understand.

They said they would not alter/rewrite any more postcards after they first started this vandalism, so that's a blatant lie, and as for "perhaps we can move on?" Yes, by all means - to a dedicated thread under the Showcase forum, as suggested brilliantly by Tarby, or go onto a postcard site, as suggested by me, and not taint this thread. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/showcase/

THEN, perhaps I can start posting cards from my collection again, which I said I would not do while they were being defaced.