Monty Python opinions

To me Monty Python is and was the epitome of British comedy, and I "measure" others by comparison. But how is it considered in Britain (I'm from US but my comedy heart is British), like are people like Oh please there's so much more to British comedy than MP. Or is it the opposite...Yep MP is it, THE best representation of our comedy. Just curious, thanks.

Some iconic sketches that have become part of our culture - if a little tiresome after repeat viewing.
But the TV series as a whole hasn't aged well.
I think the films were their strongest work.

Quote: Lazzard @ 3rd April 2023, 4:45 PM

Some iconic sketches that have become part of our culture - if a little tiresome after repeat viewing.
But the TV series as a whole hasn't aged well.
I think the films were their strongest work.

I agree.
Life of Brian, in particular, was their finest moment.

I've never warmed to the TV show, but the films are great. Holy Grail has always been my favourite.

I watched it (almost) from the start. So different and groundbreaking. Obviously there were several misses but the hits were brilliant.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd April 2023, 7:36 PM

I watched it (almost) from the start. So different and groundbreaking. Obviously there were several misses but the hits were brilliant.

We're agreeing on a lot of stuff tonight! Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. There were some superb sketches in the TV series - the 5 minute argument for example was an example of superb writing and execution, played out brilliantly by Palin and Cleese.

It always amazes me that it was so big in America

You wouldn't have thought they would have taken to this utter lunacy as much as they did- it's very very British

Quote: lofthouse @ 5th April 2023, 11:25 PM

It always amazes me that it was so big in America

You wouldn't have thought they would have taken to this utter lunacy as much as they did- it's very very British

There's an attractive quality to foreign things, and they're more approachable when the language is (mostly) understandable.

Monty Python and Keeping Up Appearances both appeared on PBS. It was free, anyone with an antenna or basic cable service could receive it, and it aired A LOT. Do that for 20 years and you'll build up an audience.

I wasn't allowed to watch it when it first aired. It would corrupt my young mind and there was nudity.
At school, I didn't understand why the other kids were doing 'silly walks and putting knotted handkerchiefs on their heads.
No video recorders or catch-up or internet in those days of course. I remember I so wanted to watch it.

I first saw Monty Python in about 1989 and thought it amazing. I can now se that some of the sketches fall flat, but that's the fate of all sketch shows (and increasingly as time passes and references fade). The films are still fantastic.

The TV show, when it was good it was superb,4 Yorkshirement, Dead Parrot, 5 minute argument, however for me it was too hit and miss, with more miss than hit.

Films are better with Life of Brian being the standout for me

... although "The Four Yorkshiremen" was not perfformed by Monty Python on TV. It was performed in At Last the 1948 Show by Tim Brooke-Taylor, Marty Feldman, John Cleese and Graham Chapman.

Monty Python did later include it in their live shows.

This conversation has been done to death. Really. The series is hit n miss etc but there are some classics etc etc (name sketches that've been even more done to death than this conversation etc etc etc) and the films are better especially Life of Brian etc etc etc etc etc.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th July 2023, 6:45 PM

... although "The Four Yorkshiremen" was not perfformed by Monty Python on TV. It was performed in At Last the 1948 Show by Tim Brooke-Taylor, Marty Feldman, John Cleese and Graham Chapman.

Monty Python did later include it in their live shows.

"Live at Drury Lane" for one

... I always cringed at the Gumbies though.
They were putting out a LOT of material and weren't relying on repetition like modern shows. It was inevitable there'd be hit and miss.