Barry Cryer RIP

Yes, I know he's been mentioned on the general "all in one" RIP thread, but there are some people who deserve their own, and Mr Cryer is most certainly top of that list.

Comedy genius, comedy legend - his kind come along once only.

I'm so, so sad. I'd been fearing this for some time as he was looking frail, and now it has happened.

Oh dear. ?

My favourite Barry Cryer joke :-

A man, in hospital gown and dragging a drip on a wheeled stand with him, walks out of the hospital and into the pub across the street. As he enters the pub, the crowded bar clears a path for him to the bar, where he orders a double brandy, which the barman gives him.

"I shouldn't be having this with what I've got" says the man

"Why, what have you got?" asks the barman

"Ten pence"

I have to admit, Iv'e nicked a few of his lines...good quality dad jokes.

I met my first wife in Blackpool.
I said to her 'what are you doing here?'

An exceptional comic talent. His departure will leave quite the void. RIP Baz.

Yes - sad news.

He's up there now with Spike, Eric, Bob and Ken et al

Bless them all and thank all of you for the hours and hours of comic script writing, and the fun, enjoyment and comedy you gave us.

I was listening to a tribute programme earlier this week introduced by Jack Dee.

They were talking about Kenny Everett's character Cupid Stunt and BBC controller Bill Cotton was a bit concerned about it. So they suggested Mary Hinge and Cotton was apparently happier about this.

Join family and friends of the late Barry Cryer in celebrating his unique comic spirit at the Lyric Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue on 13 June 2022. https://nimaxtheatres.com/shows/barry-cryer-a-celebration/

Baz had a gift for making everyone feel welcome and this night of tributes will be no exception. He spent his life making people laugh and left behind him a legacy of fun, joy, love, and silliness that this show will do its best to emulate.

He regularly told fantastic stories and anecdotes about others - the many brilliant and fascinating people he'd worked with and knew - but as he was loved and admired by so many - we thought now would be a good time for the great and the good of the comedy world to come together to share some stories about Baz.

Due to appear...

Bill Bailey, Gyles Brandreth, Pauline Daniels, Judi Dench, Stephen Fry, Andy Hamilton, Harry Hill, Barry Humphries, Stewart Lee, Maureen Lipman, Ronnie and The Rex & Arthur Smith (please note: lineup subject to change).

So, let's celebrate his brilliant and mischievous life and career. Come and join us on 13 June to #celebratebaz

The Lyric Theatre operates with mitigation methods to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. For further information check our COVID-19 secure information page. If you or anyone in your party tests positive for COVID-19 we recommend you stay at home; we operate a 100% exchange guarantee up to 24 hours before your performance. Please contact boxoffice@nimaxtheatres.com and they will assist.