Home Sweet Home (1945)

It was only when I was almost at the end of this film that I remembered I said previous that I would never watch another Frank Randle "comedy", yet here I was again trying to see even a glimmer of humour in the man, but failing.

There was a half decent variety show near the end of the film, which gave me an opportunity to see famous piano duo of Rawicz and Landauer - I'd often heard of them but had never seen their act. Most impressive piece of piano playing.

It seems Randle had a music hall act the involved him playing off cheeky boys such as Jimmy Clitheroe and Wee Georgie Wood who were both adults with stunted growth, and in this film his "son", which he had various routines with was another like those two with this medical condition, called of all names Stan Little.

I know Aaron is going to despair at my not having a good word to say for Randle, but I'm not alone as the only reviewer of this film on the IMDb said "In the middle of this film there is a lengthy variety show which is reasonably entertaining. The rest is painfully unfunny and really only for fans.

Clearly I'm not a fan, and will try very hard not to watch another of his films.

I watch them out of nostalgia. Do you think people found them funny then ?

Weirdly, yes.

Anovver country init

It has been said on a number of occasions that his comedy was particualrly northern.