Glasgow - new venue open for comedy (and more)

Hi folks,

I'm one of a team who run a new venue in Glasgow, The Ice Box Arts and Music Centre. We opened back in January, and apart from our usual music gigs, we've had cabaret, burlesque, and drag nights, which have all been good fun and gone well. The one thing we haven't ventured into yet is comedy, but our fortnightly anything goes 'open mic' nights have been increasingly picking up a few local comedians, so we're looking to gauge interest in setting up a more regular comedy night. It can be proper comedy gigs, folk wanting to try out new material, anything goes really. We've been made aware that it's tough to get onto the more established comedy venues in the city, such as The Stand, with waiting lists of months to get a spot, so we'd like to offer our place as an alternative to those.

The venue itself is smallish, 150 capacity standing or 80 seated. We're BYOB (with corkage fees), so it's a cheap night out for those who want to have a drink, compared to usual venue prices, and we sell soft drinks and snacks at much cheaper prices than any other venue too. If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, check us out on Facebook, and drop us a message on there.

https://www.facebook.com/iceboxglasgow/

Cheers!

Campbell

I'd love to go but
A I'm not funny
B Its too far
C I'm a Stewart so I would never work for a Campbell.
Only joking good luck with your new venture and if you offer to video every act and give them a copy then You Tube could bring you more and more publicity.

Thanks Teddy, appreciate your reply. I am a Stewart too, Campbell is my first name, although it does cause confusion quite often. At the moment I do the photos at the venue, videos we probably can do, but we'd need someone to do us a favour for that. If we can get a regular comedy night up and running though we'll get it organised. Cheers!

There must be money to be made by an enterprising voice coach willing to teach English comedians how to perform their routines with a Scottish accent.

Any English comedian thinking of trying his luck at an open mic night in Glasgow and talking in his own voice would be well advised to take advantage of the "bring your own bottle" policy and, before going on stage, to down half a bottle of wine followed by a couple of bottles of Imodium.

You know it makes sense.

We're a friendly bunch really :-)

Glasgow is the same as Liverpool I use to stay in the Drum and knew a few good lads . I love the accent it's like Scouse, no matter where you go? No one has to ask where you're from?. So many people live in places where no one is sure where it is? So they reference the nearest city god knows how many people claim to be from London but they live as far out as Watford.

Absolutely true on the accents. You'll get a wee variation in the posher areas, but that's about it. Most of Glasgow and through from Renfrewshire to Lanarkshire where I am is all pretty much the same accent. I lived in Brighton for 14 years, and when I moved back, I found the accent to be very harsh and guttural. It took a while to get my ears used to it again!

I once was called for an urgent job in Fraserburgh.
I set off from yorkshire where it was all 'nah then' and arze ta doin
To a totally unintelligible language.
I asked a local the directions to the factory I was attending and he might as well have been speaking Mandarin

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th May 2019, 7:17 PM

I once was called for an urgent job in Fraserburgh.
I set off from yorkshire where it was all 'nah then' and arze ta doin
To a totally unintelligible language.
I asked a local the directions to the factory I was attending and he might as well have been speaking Mandarin

Years ago my older son was doing his PhD at Leeds university and we'd visit. I remember a morning radio programme where the debate was about whether Yorkshire should join Scotland. You'd be welcome any time.
Teddy, did you really live in Drumchapel? And, by the way, a few years ago I spent 5 days in Liverpool and thought it was a bit like home as far as the people were concerned.

Yes I stayed in the Drum and Yoker bot I wasn't in their Toi .